We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have drought conditions improved?

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
244 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Have drought conditions improved?

We were in Napa/Sonoma for our 4th visit last December and we were shocked and saddened by how red, brown and dead everything looked. We had been at the same time the previous year and everything was gorgeous and so green, so I was caught off guard. I know the area has been getting some rain, are things green again or still struggling? Considering booking a visit with friends this Dec for my 40th birthday, but would rather go elsewhere this time if the gorgeousness is still being held at bay. Thanks!

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have drought conditions improved?

Haven't had rain since April, but that is normal. What wasn't normal was that we had little rain over the rainy season, which usually runs from November through March.

Next rainy season could be very different, we hope! An "El Nino year" is forecast, which brings extra rain. Who really knows - not us!

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,712 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have drought conditions improved?

Sorry the drought condition has gotten worse, and it will continue to be bad through the summer. Many cities in our area are going through mandatory water conservation measures. All the lawns in our neighborhood will be dead by the end of this summer.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,405 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have drought conditions improved?

The drought conditions won't improve until next fall/winter when it should start raining. We very rarely get any measurable rain after April or May, so unless the rain comes by then, it isn't coming. Summers are always brown and dry. Hopefully we get early rain in the fall.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
244 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have drought conditions improved?

I feel your pain, we had a bad drought in Texas. But it really breaks my heart to see your beautiful countryside all dried up. Wishing you a really good (but safe) rainy season in the Fall!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,405 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have drought conditions improved?

"But it really breaks my heart to see your beautiful countryside all dried up."

The countryside dries up every summer and we do have periodic droughts anyway, so this really is just part of the cycle. This drought is serious in that we all need to conserve and it does remind us of the need for sustainable practices and the need to maintain our water infrastructure (reservoirs, aqueducts, etc.). But this isn't unexpected.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have drought conditions improved?

The Napa Valley "dries up" every summer although the vineyards are green. This past rainy season, the rains didn't come until February and November and December were quite dry which is unusual. The year before, all the rain came in November and December and the rest of the rainy season was quite dry making 2013 the driest year on record. So, every year is different. If you had been here in March and April of this year, you would have seen the best conditions of the year as far as green hillsides and blooming flowers and trees are concerned.

Napa
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Have drought conditions improved?

Bottom line, we won't know until this December. Let's hope it's a WET ONE!!

8. Re: Have drought conditions improved?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Napa Valley