We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Napa Vally - Recommendations?

9 posts
Save Topic
A day in Napa Vally - Recommendations?

Hi guys,

My husband an I are going to spend a day in Napa Valley late September.

I have a few questions:

1. From threads I've read so far, seems like we need to make reservations to some of the wineries. How long ahead so we make reservations?

2. Since we're only staying there for 1 day, what wineries are a must see?

3. Do we need to rent a car to move from one winery to another? (we'll be arriving with one regardless)

4. After Napa, we will be heading to San Francisco. Do you recommend to stay the night in Napa or head back to San Francisco after a full day trip in Napa?

Thanks all!!

Liat.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
61 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Napa Vally - Recommendations?

1. You should make reservations as soon as possible (in my experience, some of the smaller, boutique wineries book up pretty far in advance).

2. It depends on what kind of wine you like and what you consider to be most important (scenery? wine tours? small production that you can only taste at a particular winery?). We'll probably need more color here to help you out!

3. Yes, you'll need your car (with one of you designated driver) or to hire a car service for the day to take you around. There are plenty of "wine tour" services in the area that will take you around for 5-6 hours and create a wine-tasting itinerary for you.

4. I would spend the night in Napa, but that's just my personal preference. :)

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Napa Vally - Recommendations?

hi liat y - Great advice from kedler, above. On that last point, I concur with booking a room for the night so that you can stay after the wineries close (between 4pm-6pm) to enjoy a wonderful meal here. Napa Valley's restaurants and chefs are famous for fresh & inventive 'farm-to-fork' or 'ingredient driven' cuisine.

Fine dining is second only to fine wine as the top 2 reasons to experience Napa Valley. Reasons number 3+ would be: near-perfect weather, amazing scenery, interesting history & historical sites (e.g. 'ghost wineries'), spectacular architecture and welcoming gardens.

Level Contributor
35,221 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Napa Vally - Recommendations?

Stay the night in Napa. Old World Inn is a very nice Bed & Breakfast there that is reasonably priced. :).

Napa
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Napa Vally - Recommendations?

Definitely hire a professional, licensed Wine Tour Guide to help plan your itinerary and help you avoid drinking and driving!

Here are a couple of great resources for a Private Tour Guide:

www.visitnapavalley.com/napa_valley_tours.htm

http://yountville.com/things-to-do/

5. Re: A day in Napa Vally - Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Napa Valley