We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

Central coast of...
Level Contributor
100 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

Everyone I talk to says differently. Some people have said they bring stuff from boiled eggs to sandwiches. Others say you can only bring food that is purchased AFTER you go the the security area (i.e. airport food/snacks). Any websites that would set the record straight?? Thanks!

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

There was a thread on this subject earlier in the day, and Everyone said the same thing in that outside food is allowed, but liquids (including yogurt and big hunk of cheese) are not. I'm flying out of SFO, and we will be bringing Deli sandwiches from our neighborhood deli and baby food for our 10 month old. Go to your particular airline's website, and they should have all of the boarding information that you need. In reality, every airline, airport and screen agent could give you a different story, plus the rules could change over night with another Richard Reed. We will still have to remove our shoes, because of that jerk! My 2 year old daughter ain't going to be happy when that comes up. She takes off her shoes when she says so...

I suggest you go with what you want to take, and if they insist on taking it, at least you tried. But, be sure to follow the guidelines on your airline's website to avoid conflicts. You'll be on vacation afterall.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

Be thankful that Richard Reid didn't' hide the bomb in his underwear.

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

I have never had a problem with taking solid foods onto an airplane. Especially on a longer flight, I take nuts, protein bars, candy, chips, peanut butter crackers. I know you can't take liquids and yogurt-type items, but no one has ever stopped me for the food items. I usually fly out of DFW and with American Airlines.

You might check your airlines website as well as the TSA website and see what it says, to be sure.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

Why not just read the TSA website instead of "talking" to people who maybe fly once a year?

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

Because some of the posters on the board fly over 7 times a year in and out of different airports and will have experienced more TSA "quirks" than what gets posted on the web site???

Not that I'm anti-TSA web site - If you have any doubts about what you can and cannot bring through security, print out the web site sheet that lists the prohibited items and bring it with you. Some of the screeners are very green and tend to go overboard on enforcing the rules.

FWIW (flying domestically) - I always bring food through security (if I don't forget it in the fridge at home) and purchase a bottle of over-priced water once I pass security. If you want to be more environmentally correct, bring an empty water bottle with you and fill up on the other side. If anyone really cares on whether or not this is a recent experience - I did this when I flew to Oahu, Chicago and Las Vegas in the past 6 weeks.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

Quite honestly, I have flown in and out many more than 7 airports in the past year and have found TSA to be consistent across the board in this area. I always have food items in my carry on. I have brought with me whole pineapples from my garden, Maui onions, deli snadwiches, In N Out burgers, Luna bars, tacos from Santa Fe, beef sandwiches from Chicago, a big ziploc full of cooked sweet potatoes, ling hui mango, Caramacs, jellied fruit slices from Tampa and choke Trader Joe's stuff, including a wedge of pecorino romano, dried fruits, nuts, cereal, canned pet food, crackers, chicken sausages and steel cut oatmeal.

As long as you follow the guidelines on the TSA website you will have no problems bringing food on the plane.

tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permi…

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

kaiwahine - if your bag ever goes missing on Hawaiian Flight 19 or 20, it'll be in seat either 13A or 13G... next to me :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

TSA is most definitely inconsistent. Just Monday, when I flew to Maui, the Kaua`i TSA passed me through without finding a tiny pocketknife I'd forgotten I had. Maui caught it on the way back; tore my purse apart looking at everything.

DH flies to various countries around the world virtually weekly. He also tells stories of TSA being inconsistent

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

While I have had my tweezers taken by one TSA agent after several others ignored them, I have found them to be very consistent in regards to foods and liquids. I think that may be because the food and liquid guidelines are very well spelled out. A sandwich (solid food) is allowed. A jar of salsa (liquid exceeding 3 oz) is not.

But as for your pocket knife, that is not so much a variation of regulations as it was poor screening skills on the previous screener who missed it. It amazes me the things that get through because screeners miss them. I have never had any screener take away allowed food items, i.e., no liquids, gells, etc.

Central coast of...
Level Contributor
100 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is home-brought food allowed on the plane??

Thanks for the info. Especially to pzp, for the giggle, and kaiwahine for the good snack ideas. My kids will be glad to have their fruit snacks & PJ&J!! :)