We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cane & Taro

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Cane & Taro

Quite a few people have commented on the new Cane & Taro in Whaler's VIllage. We went there this past Tuesday night and here are my comments.

Got seated very fast at a table against the rail on the second level, perfect for people watching. The waiter was very friendly and helpful. My wife ordered the ribeye steak, I got the panko crusted ahi and we decided to split an onion soup and the "frings" ( a combination of onion rings, fries and sweet potato fries) We had previously been at the bar a week or so ago and didn't get any drinks this time, we didn't care for the flavor of the mai tais ( too much guava or something like it)

The onion soup arrived fairly soon as did the Frings. The onion rings were COLD, the sweet potato and french fries were steaming hot. The onion soup was barely hot and would turn out to be cold by the time we both got through eating on it. We called the waiter over and told him of the oniion rings. He told us he would turn another order in for them and about 20 minutes later brought a plate of onion rings out with the prime rib and the ahi. We questioned him why didn't he replace the whole plate like he said and his attitude turned when he said the french fries were hot when I brought them out to you, I just replaced the onion rings. We both told him he said he was bringing a whole replacement plate out and that we didn't eat the potatoes because we wanted everything hot at once. He shrugged his shoulders and apologized for the miscommunication then walked off.

My panko ahi was very tasty, my wife's ribeye was cooked ok, but the quality was that of a frozen steak from Sam's.

By this time we were just ready to eat and go, which is what we did. The waiter did nothing to adjust the bill, we didn't expect to eat free, but thought some type of adjustement was warranted.

We won't be back. The kitchen is somewhat uneven, and the waiter that we had needs some work.

Skyline Eco Adventure
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Blue Maui Ocean Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
West Maui Parasail
Parasailing & Paragliding
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
60,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cane & Taro

Aloha, Rexster!

Wow, what a bummer of a night! Yes, we all know that restaurants have their on and off days, but the server attitude is not good news at all. I am surprised-and also hope that you spoke to management?

I've not been for dinner yet, only lunches and the TA gathering......wonder if it's a different crew at night or you had the bad luck to get someone new. This doesn't sound at all like the crew I've seen in action there.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cane & Taro

Yep, I realize restaurants have off nights. But I don't think we're going back, there are too many others that are "on" all the time. While waiting on my check, there was a party of four seated at the next table. They were given menus and sat there for about 10 minutes without any acknowlegement and they left as I was signing my ticket. And no, I didn't speak to any management, just wanted to get out. Figured I wasn't going back, most of their clientele are one or two timers anyway, and wouldn't care with the attitude I got.

This was our second visit, the first time we just sat at the bar and tried out their "original" mai tai, which I can assure you is not an original as an original mai tai doesn't contain any fruit juices. If anyone has occasion to go to Waikiki, go to Jimmy Buffett's new place at the Beachcomber hotel. Ask for the 1944 Mai Tai. Now that's a mai tai!!!. Based on the original Donn Beach recipe (you can't get some of the ingredients now) it's a real keeper. Drink 2 and you'll wake up tomorrow.

Edited: 04 December 2009, 19:38
3. Re: Cane & Taro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 13:20
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cane & Taro

Aloha,

For those wishing to make their own mai tais:

…wikibooks.org/wiki/…Mai_Tai

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cane & Taro

Real mai tai contains no fruit juices except lime

Usually consist of at least 2 kinds of rum, orgeat syrup, rock candy syrup, lime juice and curacao or triple sec. The combination results in a fruity type drink without any other juices.

VERY strong......

6. Re: Cane & Taro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 13:20
Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cane & Taro

Most of today's mai tais are half fruit juice of some type.

Look at the original recipe I am referring to.

Trader Vic's Original Mai Tai

2 ounces 17-year-old Jamaican rum

1/2 ounce orgeat (almond syrup)

1/2 ounce orange curacao

Juice of one fresh lime

1/4 ounce rock candy syrup or Simple Syrup

Lime slice for garnish

Sprig of mint for garnish

Shake ingredients and pour into an ice-packed glass.

Garnish with lime and a sprig of mint.

Makes 1 serving.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
60,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cane & Taro

Aloha,

Guess Nickie pushed TA's limits too far by trying to add a new screen name. Aloha,Bud/Almira/Nickienevada.... and we look forward to a peaceful holiday season here!

Edited: 05 December 2009, 18:35
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cane & Taro

I guess not everything goes on TA, EVEN if you do live in Nevada, Nickie! LOL (Hush Caddy, cause I'm not one to talk...Ha...Ha!)

vancouver
Level Contributor
182 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cane & Taro

I was there last month and it was fabulous. Great service, great food and great atmosphere. I am a "foodie" and can't stand bad service. I enjoyed it so much that I bought a gift certificate for friends who were going to be in Maui this week and can't wait for them to try it. I also arranged for another gift certificate for some clients who were going to be in Maui. They came back last week and raved about how wonderful it was. I have already booked my New year's reservations there!

Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali
Recent Conversations