We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

We've been considering booking a stay at Honua Kai for an upcoming summer trip. However in my research, I found articles about a lawsuit that mentioned if condo owners use a management company that is not associated with Interwest, then its renters cannot use the common areas of the resort? Is this true? The unit we found was on vrbo.com-is it associated with Interwest? Also read that it is next to a sewage plant and it smells on hot and/or windy days. Additionally that waste from that plant seeped into the ocean and guests were advised to not go in the water. Is any of this true? And if it is, are they valid reasons to not stay at Honua Kai? It looks like a beautiful place to stay, good location and great price. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
55,126 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

Aloha,

Cookies, not to be mean, but it sounds like you've fallen victim to the "Internet is Gospel" syndrome. If one looks, one will find **terrible** reports about any location, etc......

First, I'd suggest you read the reviews for HK. Next, if you book thru VRBO you will have to pay an extra fee for some amenities at the resort-but it's not like they have the Incredible Hulk barring you from walking around, LOL.

Last, I recall a discharge from the plant several years back......but don't know of any recently.

Be very careful when booking ANY property from a private owner (like thru vrbo). It can be wonderful-or it can be awful. Hidden charges, etc are only one facet--like who pays to have the unit cleaned?

You might want to compare the rates the owner is offering--then add the fees you'll have to pay--to booking directly with the resort. It may not be much less when you add it all up. Don't forget taxes, cleaning fees, etc.

Edited: 01 January 2010, 20:02
Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

Lots of the owners on VRBO actually use the on site management service Intrawest however others rent strictly on their own and others use various other Hawaii management properties. The benefit in renting with the on site management company is should something go wrong in the unit you are renting or you get locked out of your unit then the on site management company can arrange another unit for you or let you into your unit in the case of being locked out.

You also get free towel service at the pool, daily light cleaning of your unit and replenishing of shampoo, soap, laundry soap etc. I would suggest you call the resort directly and ask them. They are extremely nice and helpful as I have called with some of the same questions. We are staying there in March 2010 and I am very excited to stay in such a luxurious place.

Our family has stayed at resorts on each side of the Honua Kai property (Kaanapali Beach Club & Westin Villas ) and have never smelled anything foul. The reviews on TA also don't make any mention of a foul smell.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

At Honua Kai unit 616 now and loving it. Excellent place, very luxurious. Check my other posts for discussion regarding this.

San Diego
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

Aloha, I'm considering booking unit 616 right now for a trip we in November. I'd welcome any impressions on that particular unit and the Honua Kai property in general. Mostly, how is the view from the balcony of 616? Does the empty lot next door ruin it, or is it not a problem? Also, any concerns in renting from the owner? Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

Honua Kai is brand new and pristine. The sewage plant is across the Honoapiiliani Hwy and there is no problem. The sewage plant was being used as an excuse by buyers to get out of their purchase contracts.

There is a new excellent restaurant "Dukes" on the property and its on one of the best beaches on Maui.

Its a really excellent property. Do be careful about VRBO, make sure the owner has an on island manager.

Calgary
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

I stayed at Honua Kai in November 2009 and have nothing but good things to say. Property is beautiful and the service was beyond my expectations (their idea of daily light cleaning including loading and running the dishwasher). I have a two year old son and staff greeted him by name at the pool. The "coffee shop" also serves burgers, paninis, and has groceries. The only downside was it was not all open (the restaurant I believe was slated to open the week we left) and that the partial ocean view room also have a partial view of the ongoing landscaping. But we knew that before we went and were okay with it.

Shepherdsville...
Level Contributor
135 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

I also am hoping to stay here and as of right now the best rates I have found have been through Kaanapalibeach rentals.com. They are supposed to be located across the street from the resort if you were to have any problems. They do charge a cleaning fee and for parking but no daily resort fee. I guess it about equals out though. They also give you a discount if you stay 7 days or longer, but you do not get daily maid service (which is no biggy for me). Have fun, let us know how your trip goes.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

I used the same company for our trip in March. I think that with most of these owners getting possession at roughly the same time the result was a real push to get them rented at any price. Initial reviews indicate the Honua Kai is worth more per night than what I paid.

vancouver
Level Contributor
182 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

I was in Maui in December/January. I went to Dukes restaurant three times. During my walks around the property, twice I smelled sewage and once I did not. At first, I didn't know what the smell was. I thought it was rotting garbage from the restaurant....it was strong and bad. It would be a huge issue to me if I was thinking of staying there.

santa barbara
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honua Kai-to stay here or not?

Aloha funinthesun,

Chas'n Rainbows also manages several of the Honua Kai units, they are also close by. They have some starting at $195.00 per night. Seems like a pretty good price to me for such a lovely property:-)