We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Whaler - price worth it?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
The Whaler - price worth it?

Ok well we are staying 6 nights in november and we would like a decent hotel and next to the beach. Checking out the hotels, we thought that the Whaler would be the cheaper. Ok go through vrbo to see which ones are cheap but basically are over 200USD a night - oh an include all these added taxes etc

we were budgeted 200USD max but wow the quotes i'm getting is roughly 250USD a night depending if its inner or outer and the views etc. so is it really worth it? Should I go somewhere else?

I'm just a bit annoyed because i plan to go to oahu later and go to aston waikiki circle and the price of a ocean front is cheaper than what im paying at maui..

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,240 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Whaler - price worth it?

Whether it's "worth it" to you depends on you!! I certainly would look for something different. You won't find anything that will compare to the circle hotel in Waikiki. Two very different scenarios. Almost everything is more expensive on Maui. You choose to pay that difference when you visit. The Whaler isn't a hotel, it's a condo complex. If you want something cheaper in a condo, look at one in Sugar Beach (north Kihei) of even in Kihei Town itself.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
69,790 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Whaler - price worth it?

Aloha,

Sydney, are you coming to Maui over the American Thanksgiving holiday? That will be higher priced.

Also, the Whaler is a condo---not a hotel. So, it will cost more but if you cook and such, you will save a lot of money on food expenses. However, most people on their first visit like to eat out and play......so that may not be the best thought.

I would look at condos at Maui Kaanapali Villas instead of the Whaler. It is on the beach, very well landscaped, newly re-done main pool, restaurant on property as well. Also look at the Westin KOR Villas and Honua Kai. They are also right on the northern end of Kaanapali Beach.

VRBO is NOT always the least expensive either. Look at Aston's website and see what they're offering for your dates.

Unless you are coming during Thanksgiving, you may want to wait a little while too. Typically, prices will shift.

Maui is more expensive than Oahu......in all ways.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,518 Reviews
Maui, HI
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,481 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,348 Reviews
Maui, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Whaler - price worth it?

I checked Maui Kaanapali Villas directly and states - "Daily Resort Fee of USD13.00 plus tax will be charged nightly" - thats a bit annoying i can't pay that upfront

anyway how far walk would it be from Maui Kaanapali Villas to the south side of where the Whaler is etc? so we can check out the whaler village and stuff around there. I looked on google map but theres not direct path except this small pathway which you have to go via sheraton then?

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,518 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,790 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Whaler - price worth it?

Aloha,

Sydney, the resort fee is common-sadly-at almost all the hotels and condos. Not sure why it annoys you to not pay it up front.....

Most places charge for parking-the Whaler does; others charge a resort fee that includes parking, wifi, or other extras.

It would be a leisurely 30 minute walk to Whaler's Village. Or, you can ride the free trolley which runs from about 10 AM to about 9 PM.

Here's a link to the Kaanapali Resort Association web site:

kaanapaliresort.com/About/resortMap.aspx

Scroll through this-including the map-and it will give you a better idea of Kaanapali.

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,518 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,790 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Whaler - price worth it?

Sydney,

What are your dates?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
254 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Whaler - price worth it?

thanks for the map reference, its very good :)

yeah we are planning to walk if required or get this free trolley - does this trolley sound like it goes it all the hotels

We are planning to stay the first 6 nights in november

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Whaler - price worth it?

I am planning my first trip to Maui myself for march 2011 and I was able to get a studio condo at the Maui kai in the Honokowai area which is not far from Kaanapali for 199.00 a night with the stay 5th night free promo.

March is high season so the rates are cheaper in november they offer daily maid service,free parking and no resort fee.All the units are oceanfront and they have 1 and 2 bedroom condos also.

I 'm not sure you could walk to Whalers Village from there but I know there is a bus that runs in that area.

I went through Donna Bender to reserve the studio she is a owner there her studio was taken but she was able to secure me another one on the 9th floor and took care of the booking with Maui Kai. I recieved a email confirmation from Maui Kai. She has been great to deal with.

dgbender@aol.com

You really can't compare the prices between Oahu and Maui as Maui will cost you more but you also can't compare the Waikiki Circle with a condo either, the Circle has a great location and great views from the oceanfront rooms but the rooms are really tiny.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maui Kai
Maui Kai
1,151 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,518 Reviews
Maui, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,877 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Whaler - price worth it?

Check out www.chasenrainbows.com and see what they have for your dates. Much smaller condo properties north of Kaanapali, but close! Almost all resorts charge taxes and parking on top of the quoted price. Welcome to Hawaii!

Mentioned in this post
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
4,518 Reviews
Maui, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
69,790 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Whaler - price worth it?

Sydney,

If you're getting quotes for a studio at 200/NT for the Nov. 1-7 (six nights), that seems high. If it's a one bedroom, prob not so high.

Be aware that while it's not as 'wild' as it was, many people still come to Maui for Halloween. This might be part of what you're seeing price wise.

The trolley stops throughout K'apli resort area. If you chose to stay at the Westin KOR Villas, you could walk across the street to get the trolley from MKV. From up at Honua Kai, the Maui Kai, or the Mahana etc. you'd prob. want to catch the 1.00PP bus which drops at Whaler's Village.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
The Westin Maui Resort...
5,481 Reviews
Maui, HI
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
3,348 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui Kai
Maui Kai
1,151 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Whaler - price worth it?

Agree with SW

also the Waikiki Cicle is across the street from the beach and I would

check the reviews. The history of the hotel is interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI