We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai - advice please

bothell, wa
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
Honua Kai - advice please

Hello TA folks:

I've been looking at a two bedroom at Honua Kai for me, DH and two teens. Some two bedroom units are $350 or $400 a night...another one was $450. They all seem to have a similar view. I have a few concerns.

Reports of sewage smell

reports of wind to the point of annoyance

beach is not a walk out in the water sandy beach (coral?) We'd like to be close to a really swimmable beach.

can't find a map of the property that shows which tower is which Hokulani or Konea? Any benefits of one over the other?

Some reports have indicated the lack of crowds at Honua Kai v. Marriott or Westin far outweigh any need to travel to whaler's village or another beach.

Appreciate hearing from anyone who has been there as I've only stayed in Wailea where I also thought it was quite windy at times (Kihei especially).

Skyline Eco Adventure
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Blue Maui Ocean Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
West Maui Parasail
Parasailing & Paragliding
Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai - advice please

aloha, check www.chasenrainbows.com, they have some honua kai units for rent and you'll be able to see which exact unit you are getting & probably at a lower price too. Recent reviews have not reported the sewage smell so that is a relief, but I think the closer you are to the ocean and if your condo is on the inside than you'll be safe from the possible smell. We are not booked til August, have been asking many who stayed there & it seems to have pretty good feedback for families so we are looking forward to it. good luck!

Level Contributor
398 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai - advice please

Here are the links to the buildings. On the Hokulani link you will need to select interactive floor plans but the Konea building link will load up automatically.

http://www.honuakai.com/condo_hokulani.html

www.honuakai.com/condo_konea_plans.html#embed

I recommend you do a search in the travel forums for Honua Kai and you will find most if not all of your questions answered.

I don't know what time of year you will be going but we were there in the spring and paid $300 per night for a 2/2 ocean view unit.

hawaii
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai - advice please

Aloha,

Here is a link to several 2 bedroom units that you can view at Honua Kai, that you may find helpful, http://www.exclusivegetawayshawaii.com/search?pageNumber=1&token=258&number=10&sortby=random&bedrooms=2&searchIslands_Child[]=2&searchNeighborhoods_Child[]=188&searchResorts_Child[]=240&check_in=6/28/2010&check_out=6/28/2010&nights=

bothell, wa
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai - advice please

thanks everyone! I'll check out chasenrainbows and the other suggestion for pricing. Our dates are flexible, most important thing is I want an unobstructed ocean view and a swimmable beach out front with a great pool LOL When I stayed in Wailea, I felt like we barely say the "real ocean" want to see more now that the kids are older. cheers!!

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai - advice please

Maybe check my review of the property which happens to make several observations regarding your questions. Try also Kaanapali Beach Rentals for private listings. They've added a few 2 bedroon units.

California
Level Contributor
6,689 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai - advice please

We just got back from Honua Kai a few weeks ago and loved the place. I've been lucky enough to have stayed at almost every "nicer" resort and hotel on Maui and Honua Kai ranks up there with the best. Forget about the sewage smell, it's a non issue that keeps getting posted. They also have a great beach that's pretty much the same the Marriott but less crowded. Because the place is so new it's very uncrowded. Just remember that if you rent from anyone but the resort directly you won't have daily maid service if thats important to you. We already plan to return next year. Can't say enough good things about it. As for the wind, all of West Maui has had higher winds during the last month or so.

Bergen County NJ
Level Contributor
129 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai - advice please

I'm at Honua Kai right now. Admittedly, I just got here a few hours ago. It is windy, but I'm not annoyed by it. It's a resort on the ocean, so I kind of expect it to be a bit windy. I have not detected a sewage smell at all. The first thing we did when we got here was to throw open the lanai doors to soak in all the Maui goodness. I smell nothing.

This resort is GORGEOUS. Absolutely stunning. This room is immaculate. We're all giddy we're so happy with it. We just got here from 4 days at the Hilton Waikoloa Resort on the Big Island, which was also incredibly beautiful, but this is... different. It's true we haven't even gotten our feet wet yet here, these are my first impressions and I'll post a review at the end of my stay.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai - advice please

thanks mama- look forward to your review- we'll be there in 34 days!! Are you using the kids club, wondering about it, I'll try to use it once or twice when there but I don't see many reviews on it. Now go to the beach & get your feet wet & get a lava flow from Dukes! have fun, aloha!

New Albany, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honua Kai - advice please

I've walked by the honua kai a few times.. the sewage smell is only detectable while on the highway imo.

The beach here is great. We are timeshare owners at the KBC and usually walk down to this area (by honua kai) to enter the ocean and swim around.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honua Kai - advice please

Had dinner at Dukes which is on the grounds. It was a nice meal. As we were walking along the grounds my wife and I looked at each other "wow what's that smell"...smelled like sewer to me. Have seen it posted before

Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali
Recent Conversations