We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaanapali Alli or Honua Koa Resort?

California, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kaanapali Alli or Honua Koa Resort?

Hi-

We're planning a trip in early November. It's my husband and our 4 year old, plus extended family bringing kids 8 and 10.

The Honua Kai pool and rooms look great, but my concerns are:

1. It's too far from the "action": renting kayaks, watching black rock diving, walking to restaurants

2. The sand slopes sharply towards the water, but some reviews say it has great snorkeling. Is the water more gentle farther south in Kaanapali?

Thank you!

Melissa

California
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaanapali Alli or Honua Koa Resort?

With 3 kids in the group I would go with Honua Kai by far. The pools are mucher nicer for kids and the beach is just as good as the main Kaanapali area. We stayed at HK this summer and are already planning a return trip.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaanapali Alli or Honua Koa Resort?

we loved HK too this summer with 3 kids, it is a quick drive if you want to hang out at Whalers Village & the Kaanapali strip. We did go once and honestly, got annoyed with the crowds and noise but if that's your thing than yes, stay on the strip. We loved the quiet and the awesome pools and fabulous condo's at HK. aloha!

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaanapali Alli or Honua Koa Resort?

Hi

More action around the Alii. They have renovated the pool area.

Quieter around Honua Kai.

More shops and restaurants are within walking distance of Alii.

California, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaanapali Alli or Honua Koa Resort?

Thank you, it's starting to turn into more of an adult trip(7 adults, our son, and one 11 year old). So I'm leaning towards Alli. The beach in front of the HK looks much narrower and sloped, is it good for gentle swimming?

It's hard to choose, all the places look so nice!

California
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaanapali Alli or Honua Koa Resort?

I've stayed at both with our family and although we loved the Alii, I would go with HK again. The beach at HK is no different than in front of the Alii. I would look into which property gives you the best price and view. Either way you can't go wrong.

California, USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaanapali Alli or Honua Koa Resort?

We decided on the HK. Alli turned out to be VERY expensive, $400 a night for a two bedroom. I rented a huge 3 bedroom at HK from an owner for $600, and my mom got a 2 bedroom through the hotel for $230.

I think it's going to be perfect, we decided it was more important to get a place where everyone can stay at the same property than to be right in the middle of the action at the Alli.

Thanks!

Socal
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaanapali Alli or Honua Koa Resort?

I went back and forth on this one too. I ended up grabbing an Alii unit for next summer. When I did so, about two months ago, the VRBO prices for a two bedroom were running about $399 and under. (that's generally not a full ocean front, of course!) I see that prices have already rebounded up.

I basically went with the Alii because I like the location a bit more. However I would have likely have been just as happy with the Honua.

Glad to see you got all booked up...have fun!

8. Re: Kaanapali Alli or Honua Koa Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 05:16