We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for the real story on The Whaler Construction

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for the real story on The Whaler Construction

We are scheduled to be at The Whaler Mar 4-12 and have heard through an owner that construction is due to begin in early Feb. At first we heard construction wasn't due to begin until March 15th, and now they are saying "pre-construction" is starting in Feb. Does anyone have the real story?

Would value any insight into what the plan is at The Whaler.

Thanks.

Houston
Level Contributor
328 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for the real story on The Whaler Construction

I posted a link to a letter sent to the owners that details te construction schedule. Of course it is subject to change.

Do a search or whaler construction or go into my profile and look for my post. (I'm on my phone so I can't link you to it)

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for the real story on The Whaler Construction

We're heading to Maui next week - staying close to the Whaler. I'll try to remember to check it out and post what I find. :-)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for the real story on The Whaler Construction

Here is the link Run13 is talking about.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k415095…

vancouver
Level Contributor
182 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for the real story on The Whaler Construction

I was staying at the Whaler from December 15-January 7th. I met with the Owner who happened to be there at the same time and got the scoop. We originally were told when we booked it over the holidays that there would not be any construction going on at that time. We arrived and the big sign that says, "excuse the construction and dust..." was up. They were dealing with the planters. The work was being done on the building closest to the Hula Grill so it did not affect us daily. However, two times, workers came to our door to do some "quick work". The first time, I let them in and suddenly 5 guys, big tarps, power tools, etc. were flowing through my door. They said it would take 10 minutes and it took about 30 and they knew I was annoyed when the dust started flying everywhere, sanders were going and we couldn't be outside and the inside was noisy. Not ok so I told them to wait until we checked out. They tried coming back one more time and I denied them. Not the workers fault, they were very nice but just doing their job.

I am told by the Owner that realistically the work will not be done until June 1, 2011 and that it was supposed to start sometime in March. We were actually trying to book the suite again for the 2nd week of May but he said he wouldn't rent it to anyone due to the work that was going to happen. They are going to be redoing all the planters, balconies and metal fencing around the lanais and replacing it with glass. He said in his opinion that they really needed to shut the Whaler down and just do all the work at once. If you stay there, you will not have access to the balconies and the noise factor will be unbearable. I stayed at the Whaler a few years ago while they were redoing the balconies at the KBH beside it and the noise didn't stop all day. The jackhammering was painful. The dust was everywhere and we couldn't keep our door open.

Before we booked at Christmas, I even called the Aston directly to ask about the work and they basically said they didn't know anything about it. I called the Whaler directly and they totally downplayed it. This is going to be MAJOR work. I would call the Owner directly and ask about this. Get it in writing because if you get there and you are in the middle of the construction zone, you will hate it and it will ruin your trip. I stayed at the Whaler when they were doing the courtyard/membrane years back and we could hear the construction at the pool and the beach. If I didn't have my ipod, I would have lost my mind. I seriously think you should consider other options if you can't get a "for sure" answer. The owner I dealt with was awesome. He said that the Homeowner's association are very slow and disorganzied and he was worried about renting to anyone during this time so he decided not to.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for the real story on The Whaler Construction

After a lot of thought, we are moving to the Marriott Ocean Club. Not an ideal situation with 4 weeks during peek times, but we couldn't take the risk. The owner we've been working with for 6 years has been amazing (shout out to Evelyn & Otto- you know who you are) and actually brought the construction to our attention. So we are grateful for their honesty and flexibility. We will be back, but The Whaler needs to get this constant churn of construction in their past.

Thanks!

maryland
Level Contributor
174 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for the real story on The Whaler Construction

We too decided to move from the Whaler to Kapalua in May due to the construction schedule. It's a wonderful property, but after waiting so long for this special trip I didn't want to chance it.

7. Re: Looking for the real story on The Whaler Construction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali
Recent Conversations