We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hyatt Maui

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Hyatt Maui

To the person who wrote the review about the 48" requirement to ride the water slide ... thank you. My husband and I specifically booked our stay here because our 7 year old daughter would probably spend the entire vacation on their water slide. However, after reading your review about how strict they are about the height requirement (our daughter is 47" tall), we called the resort to ask about a possible liability waiver or other consideration, which they flatly refused. I understand that we live in a litigious society these days but unfortunately their lack of flexibility of options to use their amenities gave us no choice but to cancel our visit there and book elsewhere. We're disappointed because we really wanted to stay there. Anyways, thanks for thwarting what could have been a disappointing visit ...

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hyatt Maui

When did you plan on arriving? Possible that she will grow an inch by then? Or stand up extra straight?

Saskatoon...
Level Contributor
780 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hyatt Maui

We were there 2 years ago and our older son met the height requirement but the water at the bottom of the slide was WAY too deep for him. I can't remember exactly how deep, I'm thinking 9 feet. Even with a life vest he wasn't comfortable using this slide. The kiddie slide is pretty mellow but both kids [8 and 5 at the time] had fun using it.

The pool and slide at Honoa Kai [sp?] look aweome. We walked through the resort this year and are considering it for our next family trip to Maui.

Happy travels!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,096 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hyatt Maui

As at Disneyland, these requirments are for the safety of your kids! I really do not understand why that would be an issue. My kids missed many rides at Disneyland on their first trip too!

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hyatt Maui

Aloha,

The "Grand Hyatt" isn't in Kaanapali. That property would be the Grand Wailea..................

However, I'm sure they Hyatt Kaanapali has rules too.

Plymouth, Michigan
Level Contributor
772 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Hyatt Maui

You can watch this youtube video to see the water slide at Honua Kai and the size of the kids that are allowed to use it. The specific pics start at about the 2:20 min mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvJHaw6M7rc

Edited: 19 May 2011, 13:18
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
329 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Hyatt Maui

I am a little confused too about which property the poster was speaking of....Hyatt Regency Maui...Grand Wailea Maui..or Grand Hyatt Kauai...

My son is 7 and meets the height requirement...but mommy can't swim so I might not be able to go down the slide myself!! Usually I see 5ft water at the bottom of water slides and I am ok! We are staying at the Hyatt Regency in 2 weeks....

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Hyatt Maui

Yes, I realized I wasn't clear. It is the Hyatt Regency Maui. The feedback I received was helpful.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Hyatt Maui

Yea, my husband thought with milk, vitamin D, etc. we could put her on a "stretcher" for that extra inch (lol). She's an excellent swimmer for her age and will be tempted by the slide too much to stay there. It seems like it would be a trivial point to a vacation, I know, but we've had experiences in the past on other trips that we know what's important ... and unfortunately this is ... I guess I'm not alone based on some of the feedback from this resort on Trip Advisor. Oh well!

9. Re: Grand Hyatt Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2012, 05:29
Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali