We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with accommodations

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help with accommodations

I am trying to choose between the following resorts/condos: Papakea Resort, Kaanapali Royal or the Kapalua villas. Plan on booking through VRBO. We are a family of four with two teenage daughters. Trip is primarily for tourism (sights, hiking, beach time, surf lessons, etc.). Looking for a nice atmosphere near some good restaurants for dinner. We would get 2 bd/2 ba condos at all the resorts except Kapalua where we would get a 1 bd./1 ba.

Having never been to Maui, I was hoping some of you could give me some insight.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with accommodations

The Kaanapali beach area sounds like the best place for your family - surf lessons right from the beach, walk to restaurants, etc. You'll also probably find yourself driving to downtown Lahaina on a few nights for dinner and shopping (its only a short drive - 7 minutes from Kaanapli and maybe 15 minutes from Kapalua). I think Kaanapali Royal has the closest location to Kaanapali out of your list, but I don't have much input on the resort amenities (I'm sure someone else will chime in with that).

Kapalua villas are a bit more remote, but a nice area and nice condos. There is some great hiking right on the Kapalua bay trail.

Are you stuck on these three resorts or open to others? If so, what is your budget and when are you traveling?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with accommodations

When would you be arriving?

Kaanapali Royal units are very big. They are set back from the ocean but the beach they are in front of is a great portion of Kaanapali Beach.

This part of the beach has sailboats, sunset sails and lots of activity.

Also has Whalers Village shopping center with the shops, restaurants, museum and small food court.

All the hotel lobbies welcome you and there is a lot to see in the immediate area.

Should have free Kaanapali Resort jitney if you want a ride back up the hill to Kaanapali Royal.

Papakea has nice grounds and the beach in front of them comes and goes.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with accommodations

At Kapalua Villas the one bedroom is a negative. You can't always count on a sofa bed to be comfortable for sleeping... esp. with two people sharing. And having all of their stuff stored in the LR, or in your BR could get a bit messy. And more marks against it if it only has one bathroom.

Kaanapali Royal is set back from the beach and close to the road which often has heavy traffic volume. It's convenient to Whaler's Village and not too far to walk to the beach, which is beautiful in that area, but I'm not sure if meet's your criteria for nice atmosphere. www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrkaanapaliroyal.html

We stay at the Mahana which is very close to Papakea. I like that area, but I'm not crazy about the beach at Papakea.

Not sure if you've looked at Maui Kaanapali Villas, which might meet all of your criteria.

Susan

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,727 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with accommodations

Aloha,

Kaanapali Royal is NOT legal transient accommodations. Many full time residents there aren't happy to have tourists staying there illegally, partially because most of them are working at least 2 jobs. They have very strict 'noise' policies, and these extend to being on your lanai after about 8 PM.......as in not. With 2 teenagers, I frankly think you will be unhappy.

I agree with Susan, look at the Mahana, MKV, and maybe also check Kaanapali Shores. If you can find a good deal, take Honua Kai. MKV would be my first choice if you can't swing HK.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with accommodations

We are open to other resorts. Going in late March/early April for 9 days. Trying to keep all in cost of accommodations $300/night or below. The price is kind of tough because we would like 2 bd/2 ba.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,074 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with accommodations

The others aren't even in the same league as the Kapalua Villa's. Only getting one bedroom could be a problem though. What time of year are you planning on?

Just read your recent post!! Have you looked in south Maui? Kihei, Wailea or Makena? Great area for families and more budget minded. Condo's available ocean front or across the street.

Edited: 06 October 2011, 18:44
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
145 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with accommodations

Thanks for the info on Kaanapali Royal. I was getting uncomfortable about the reviews re residents. The reviews make sense knowing that it is primarily full time residents.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with accommodations

Not mentioned so far is the Maui Eldorado.. 2 heated pools, a beach cabana for it's guests only and within walking distance to Whaler's Village. There's several of these units on VRBO. Outrigger manages the resort, but they're higher than going through the owner of the condo you might be interested in.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,594 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with accommodations

If you want to be in West Maui, and $300/night, then swmarket's recommendation for Kaanapali Shores is a good one. This resort gets a lot of good feedback here. It's next to Papakea. I think it would be hard to find a 2 bdrm at Honua Kai, Mahana, or even MKV at $300 all in, in March/April.

Looking at this site (an agency that is often recommended here), this unit is available: kaanapalibeachrentals.com/vacation-rental.ma… (edit: this unit is going to exceed your $300/day ... with taxes, parking, cleaning fee factored in).

Suggest doing a search to see what else is available for your dates: http://www.kaanapalibeachrentals.com/

Another agency to try, http://www.chasenrainbows.com/

Edited: 06 October 2011, 19:54
10. Re: Help with accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali