We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Ocean Club vs. the Hyatt.

Suffield, Ct
Level Contributor
165 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Ocean Club vs. the Hyatt.

We are traveling to Maui in May and currently have two rooms at the Hyatt which with the resort fee, total $365 per night. I can get a one bedroom OV suite at the Marriott for $326. We have stayed here before. It has a small kitchenette which can do breakfast. We liked it here actually but just have never stayed at the Hyatt. Are we missing anything special at the Hyatt which is just a walk down the beach or is this a 'no brainer'? I know we won't get a glimpse of the ocean for the rate we got at the Hyatt. Any thoughts?

New York
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Ocean Club vs. the Hyatt.

Hyatt is very nice, but I think I would choose OV at the Marriott. But you could apply for the Hyatt credit card and get your two nights for free. Then it would definitely be worth it!!!!

Suffield, Ct
Level Contributor
165 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Ocean Club vs. the Hyatt.

We would get two nights (one room for free) which would save us about $350. I don't know if I want to use my two free nights there for only $350 minus $75 annual card fee.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Ocean Club vs. the Hyatt.

It's all what you want in a vacation... while the Hyatt is very very nice, the marriott is nice too but not the same amenities... we stayed at both places.. Although not the Hyatt on Maui, but on Kauai. they all seem to be the same. The marriott, you can't go wrong for the price. but keep in mind not the same amenities as the hyatt. if youre looking to save money, the marriott.. and spend the extra money on other things. If it's not about the $$$ then stay at the Hyatt. weigh the pros and cons of each resort.. flip a coin !!! I picked the Sheraton for myself because of the beach this time... i usually pick a resort by the pool. then I go from there. my picks were... The Hyatt, the Westin, Marriott and the Sheraton... The Marriott was booked up for what I needed. the Hyatt could not accomadate my family with enough room space. just like you they told me two rooms... The westin rooms are only 350 sq ft. too small.. So I booked at the Sheraton in their Ohana Suite. great beach, great snorkeling, and nice pool. the grounds are pretty sparse, but ohwell... We bit the bullet and spent a little more than what we wanted, but sometimes you have to. my son is 16, and daughter is 12. They no longer will sleep in the same bed. I can't blame them..

Really, no matter where you stay, you can't go wrong. They are all nice resorts. if you pick the Marriott, walk over to the Hyatt and walk around. they will let you do that. aske to see a room. then next time you go back to maui, stay at the hyatt. or split your time.

djb

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Ocean Club vs. the Hyatt.

We have stayed at both and like both.

But all the amenities that the Marriot is missing are still available at the Hyatt with a 5 minutes walk( shops and restaurants, spa..). But for 2 rooms I would go for the Hyatt rather than 1 bedroom and a pullout.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Ocean Club vs. the Hyatt.

Never been a giant fan of the Marriott -- even waaaaaaay before the timeshare conversion(s) were completed.. Then again, I don't like the Sheraton (post-renovation, anyway) either -- a squandering misappropriation of Ko-ya's 160million buckaroos, IMO!!

Never had a bad stay at the Hyatt -- and with numerous stays over the past three decades (well, since opening in 1980) this says allot!

Aloha, NKO

6. Re: Marriott Ocean Club vs. the Hyatt.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 12:15