We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

Raleigh, NC
10 posts
Save Topic
Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

We have a five night trip planned to go to Maui in July. We are trying to decide whether to stay at the Sheraton or the Hyatt. This will be our first trip to Maui and we want it to be very special. We have heard the Hyatt is experiencing renovations. Any suggestions?

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

Are you staying on another island also as part of this trip? That's a looong trip and a lot of flying for just 5 days.

The Hyatt and Sheraton are at opposite ends of Ka'anapali Beach and both are beautiful resorts. In general, if you are beach people go for the Sheraton. If you are pool people the Hyatt gets the edge. The beach that fronts the Hyatt is quite small and can be rocky but they have a very nice pool area and lush grounds. The Sheraton was the first large hotel to be built in the planned Ka'anapali resort and sits on a gorgeous and broad stretch of sand. The feel at the Sheraton is a bit less formal than that of the Hyatt.

Perhaps SW or one of the other locals can speak to the renovation question. I believe they had some lobby work going on but that should be long completed by July.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

Agree with snowbird-I'll just point out the difference in room sizes-450 sq.ft. at the Hyatt v 340sq ft. at the Sheraton-both are gorgeous.

Raleigh, NC
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

Thank you Snowbird and Alumnus for the great information. Your comments are very helpful! We will be staying in Oahu for 8 nights, Kauai for 2 nights and Maui will be our last stop. We are definitely beach people! Our plans for Maui are to see the highlights of the island and do a lot of relaxing at the resort. That is why we are trying to be smart and careful about where we stay . We seem to be leaning towards the Sheraton because of beach, but will have to give the Hyatt some thought because of room size.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,659 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

The Hyatt is a better hotel, the Sheraton has a nicer beach. The Hyatt is also a bit more elaborate on their theming in the hotel.

I am not a big fan of sand, despite being a lifelong beach boy so I am fine lying by the pool, getting my food and bev service and jumping in the ocean when I want to cool off or swim.

But there isn't a wrong choice here.

I would also seriously consider chopping at least three days off Oahu and adding them to Kauai.

Raleigh, NC
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

Okay, now the Hyatt is looking like the better choice and I suppose we could drive to the Sheraton area for snorkeling near Black Rock. We would love more time at Kauai, but we will be staying with family in Oahu and need the 8 nights there. On another subject, how long does it take to drive the Road to Hana? We would probably make several stops.

Walker, Minnesota
Level Contributor
264 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

The road to Hana is a full day adventure.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

There is much better snorkeling on the north end of Black Rock at Kahekili Beach Park than right in front of the Sheraton.

If you want a great trip to Hana, plan on at least a 12 hour day. Take the time to explore the Top Questions about Hana on the right hand side of this page or in the Hana forum.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,562 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

Aloha,

I would def take the Hyatt.

The snorkeling at Kahekili is better, as Fuzz mentioned; also consider going up to Napili Bay, Kapalua, and Honolua.

Re Hana-with only five days here, you may want to re-think doing it. Given your trip to Kauai, you may want to go to Haleakala instead of Hana, since you will see some incredible tropical sights on Kauai. Haleakala is totally different!

Raleigh, NC
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

Thank you so much to everyone for the great suggestions. We are booking at the Hyatt and you helped us make that decision. Our plans are to definitely go to Haleakala and we will have to see if time allows a trip to Hana too.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,562 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton Maui vs. Grand Hyatt Maui

Aloha,

You're welcome! Glad we could help--have a wonderful time.

Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali
Recent Conversations