We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papakea, Ka'anapali.

BOSTON
Level Contributor
30 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Papakea, Ka'anapali.

Can someone tell me if the Papakea is on the beach? We are researching and it looks like the Whaler and Ka'anapali Shores are directly on the beach -looks like the Mahana is oceanfront with a little un swimmable beach but I can't see what the Papakea has. I sometimes see pictures with a little bit of beach. Wonder if that is in fromt of Papakea? Is it swimmable? I am going with 4 teenagers and the only request is to be on the beach - swimmable beach!

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papakea, Ka'anapali.

Yes, on the beach! Not the greatest beach area but it works. Papakea has always been a good mid range condo resort.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Papakea, Ka'anapali.

No, Papakea is not on a beach. It has a seawall and small amount of sand below it. Ka'anapali Shores is next door and it does have more sand fronting it, but a limited amount in the water. It's not a frolicking freely kind of beach. But it works and can be accessed from Papakea with a 2 minute stroll.

That said, we like it there a lot as we don't need to walk out onto a sandy beach to be have fun. We have more fun taking short trips to great snorkeling places. If we still had little ones, maybe sand would be more important.

Papakea does have two pools, two large hot tubs and some really nice grass to hang out on. Sand is overrated, IMO.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Papakea, Ka'anapali.

Here's an aerial view of Papakea: http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrpapakea.html

And next door (as Patrick mentions above) the beach in front of Kaanapali Shores: www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrkaanapalishores.html

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Papakea, Ka'anapali.

We loved the ambiance of Papakea and the beautiful grounds. As stated above, beach/swimming are plenty close enough.

Edited: 15 January 2012, 14:41
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
45,468 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Papakea, Ka'anapali.

Aloha,

You might move a little farther south, and look at Maui Kaanapali Villas. Great beach, huge nice grounds. This is also on the Kaanapali Trolley route, so the kids could hop around the resort area (like to Whaler's Village) for free while you relax!

BOSTON
Level Contributor
30 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Papakea, Ka'anapali.

Thank you all so much. I should have come here first!! Especially the links to both Papakea and Sands. Great answers - as always.

California
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Papakea, Ka'anapali.

Patrick, how can you say it's not on the beach? Those web links clearly show the beach. Like I said, it's not the greatest beach area but it is on the beach/shore.

www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrkaanapalishores.html

Edited: 15 January 2012, 20:50
California
Level Contributor
5,754 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Papakea, Ka'anapali.

Papakea at high tide.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrpapakea.html

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Papakea, Ka'anapali.

""Patrick, how can you say it's not on the beach?""

Papakea is a waterfront condo resort, that essentially has no beach. A seawall with the tiniest spit of sand hardly makes a beach.

We've stayed there off and on for many years and when someone asks me about it I say, "it really doesn't have a beach. Just a seawall with a little sand below it". Then I tell them all the reasons we love it.

Just trying to be accurate.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Papakea, Ka'anapali.

Believe us, there is little to no beach at the Papakea depending on the tides. Most of it is a seawall. The grounds are very well kept and a lot of BBQ grills around.

Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali