We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Whaler construction update?

vancouver
Level Contributor
182 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
The Whaler construction update?

Can anyone tell me what the status of the construction project at the Whaler?

The project was supposed to be completed in December 2011 and I am told that it is now for February 28th. However, I called the Whaler directly and was told yesterday that they are starting on the 9th floor and then today someone else told me that they are on the 6th floor. We're planning a trip for May 13th and I want to make sure the project is 100% completed if we book there. I stayed there during the courtyard/parking fiasco construction and it was awful.

Does anyone know?

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
52,497 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Whaler construction update?

Aloha,

I don't know which floor they're on................but the last possible date I hear was mid-March.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
68 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Whaler construction update?

I just called because we are arriving in May as well. The completion date is Feb 29 (at this point).

vancouver
Level Contributor
182 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Whaler construction update?

Is anyone in Kaanapali who can report back which floor they are actually working on?

We also have booked flights for May but I am so worried that the construction is ongoing. I was told that the completion date is supposed to be Feb 28th but was told by the Whaler that there will still be at least 2 weeks of them taking down the equipment after the estimated completion date so more likely the middle of April but they can't promise anything.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Whaler construction update?

Walked by Tuesday night. The North tower looks good. The South building does not have lanai railings and there is scaffolding around the building.

NDak
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: The Whaler construction update?

Am attaching a photo taken today of Tower 2. Floors 7-12 are open and scaffolding is off of those floors on the ocean side (but not the other sides). All new windows are in, flooring is in on bottom 6 floors but not finished out, railing is being installed on floor 4 today (and is already on floors 5 & 6). All floors are scheduled to be open by 2-29-12. We've been here since Jan. 1, and they have been on schedule with all floors since then. First two weeks in March will be taking down elevators. Only sound problems are when they cut the railings, and they only have two floors left of that after today. I wouldn't be at all concerned about May.

s1071.photobucket.com/albums/u515/mauiforme/

Minnesota
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Whaler construction update?

We also are arriving in May (12th), the gentleman that we are renting from assures us that all construction will be done.

San Jose
Level Contributor
85 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Whaler construction update?

I just stayed at The Whaler. While they are still working on some of the rooms, we didn't notice it at all. They look to be done very soon. I would highly recommend The Whaler.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Whaler construction update?

deniseVancouver,

Project now scheduled to be FINALLY OVER by March 12. Per the latest General Manager report of Feb. 24, project is now in last three weeks of removing building "manlifts and scaffolding," last patching, paint touch-up, and "demombilizing and final cleanup. This is all "dependent on weather and unforseen circumstances."

I am pleased to report this info to YOU, as thanks for your being such a great Whaler neighbor about 2-3 years ago, when you stayed in Tower 2, Ninth Floor: Thanks again for your leftovers...and your quietness when on the lanai! Your plans for May should be able to go full speed ahead.

Perhaps we will meet again soon, during one of our Fall visits.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 02:30
Saint Maries, Idaho
Level Contributor
5 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Whaler construction update?

Just returned from stay at Whaler Condos, we were in Tower 2, not sure what they were doing construction wise, when we arrived there were scaffolds on each end of the building, but they were removed about a week ago, now they seem to be working on the landscaping on the East side of Tower 2 next to the Whaler Village. Landscape work was loud during the day from our room, but we spent most time at beach, so it didn't matter. The biggest inconvenience is the lack of parking, because the one parking lot is being used for construction staging, other than that our visit was fine and we will return.

10. Re: The Whaler construction update?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2013, 10:20