We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked the condo. Now booking the flight, need your opinion

Iowa
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booked the condo. Now booking the flight, need your opinion

Hi everyone, I finally booked my condo. I was the one that was going to book the Sheraton regular room and through the advice of this board, I booked a condo at the Kaanapali Ali. I now need to book the airline tickets. My question is on the return flight. There is a choice of departing at 4pm but it is almost a 9 hour flight to chicago and than on to des moines. or else there is a 11pm flight out of Maui and it is more broken up like 4 hours than 3 and 3

Just wondering if that would be better since we have a two year old with us? Plus it would give us another almost full day in Maui (although we would have to check out of Condo at 11am) What should I do?

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked the condo. Now booking the flight, need your opinion

Only you know what is best for your daughter, her sleep patterns ... or if it is best to get her up regularly and romp her around. And how will she react to the take-offs and landings and the hassles of getting on and off the plane.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,080 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked the condo. Now booking the flight, need your opinion

Like Alias say's only you can really know how your child will react. If it were me, I would get home the most expedient way possible, the less stops there are the better.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked the condo. Now booking the flight, need your opinion

It really is an individual choice, no body can tell you waht you will like. Let me just tell you my experience. That flight OGG-ORD at 4 p.m. is a good flight, we have taken it many times. One problem, it stops at Kona for about an hr.-the holding room for the passengers is pretty spartan, more problematic for some people, there is no aerobridge, you climb down the huge B 777! We now, take the 2 p.m. flight UA 266 or UA 824, with a change at SFO-we prefer this, it gives us a break, the SFO is a nice airport, good restaurants. Next January, I have booked UA 300, (CID)-ORD-HNL, return, OGG-SFO-ORD-CID.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked the condo. Now booking the flight, need your opinion

Get home the most expeditious way possible. Once the trip is over ...it is over.

Any perceived benefit of departing on the late evening flight will quickly fall by the wayside as you stumble around like HoBos after the a.m. check-out. We would NEVER again depart a late eve flight without booking through to the next day.There is always the possibility of yet further delays.

The flights are long no matter which way you look at it.Chopping up the itinerary for a west coast stop-over is not going to energize anybody.....least of all a toddler.

Reserve the most direct route ....even if it means a 9 hour flight. Try to reserve some E+ seats perhaps for some extra comfort/

We have flown these routes frequently with a variety of itineraries, equipment , Airlines. We have determined over the years that our best strategy for the less brutal return is:

Always book the extra night for flight 8 p.m. or later.(made a mistake on first trip...never again)

Book the most direct flights possible...least connections.

Choice the most desirable equipment i.e 767, A330 etc.. wide body

Book "J' Budget permitting.

Iowa
Level Contributor
114 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked the condo. Now booking the flight, need your opinion

Thanks everyone, I booked the 4pm but like the pp said it stops in Kona, I did not know that until after I confirmed. I booked through wells fargo CC points so It for some reason did not display that. Oh well. Is what it is. I only wish it was not still 9 months away. booo

6. Re: Booked the condo. Now booking the flight, need your opinion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2013, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali