We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,830 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

If there is anyone local, could you please let me know what transpires after the council meeting next week...

Right now, a day pass on the Maui bus system is $2.00 for the whole day, a real deal. I noticed in the Maui paper, at the airport on my departure day, that they were going to be discussing an increase, to $5.00 for the day. That is still a great deal, when you consider that a gallon of gas is close to 5.00 already.

Would be curious to know what happens, as we are considering bringing our kids next year, and that is one way that they would be able to go off on their own.

Mahalo!

Lafayette, LA
Level Contributor
180 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

You are right, 5 bucks is a great deal. Las Vegas bus system was 5 bucks for 24 hours and it was awesome! I am shocked that it is 2.00 in Maui! I expected it to be higher.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

It increased to $4.00 as of July 1/2012: http://www.co.maui.hi.us/index.aspx?NID=609

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,830 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

Hi! I thought this thread was dead and buried! I was actually on the bus website just an hour ago (same thread you were on SusanM!!) and noticed that it was now 2.00 a ride, and 4.00 for the day pass. Even doubling it, it is still an amazing deal.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

I'm surprised they don't have a lower fare for locals with ID and another higher rate for visitors.

It seems unfare that the state (locals through taxes) would subsidize us tourists when using public transportation.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
392 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

"It seems unfare that the state (locals through taxes) would subsidize us tourists when using public transportation."

We tourists pay several hundreds of dollars of tax every time we visit Hawaii, not unlike other vacation spots.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,830 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

They have also implemented monthly passes, a student pass (with ID), and even a Seniors' pass now as well, only 25.00, and 55 years young! The monthly pass is great too, just 45.00. Much easier for the locals that way, rather than having to find dollar bills for every day.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,108 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

<<"It seems unfare ...">>

pun intended? :))

I think most tourists rent vehicles when visiting Maui - also, public transportation everywhere is subsidized through local taxes. We've enjoyed some amazing bargains to use buses, subways and trains in most of the cities that we've visited during our travels.

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

I agree, Susan...our local bus system is subsidized by taxpayers too. I've only ever taken the bus on Oahu, but I certainly wouldn't feel bad about the Maui bus being subsidized by local residents. As tourists, I feel that we are being squeezed of loose change until we squeak.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,830 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

Vancouver is $9.00 for a day pass.

10. Re: bus pass for the day, possibly going to $5.00

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:46