We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for family going in October

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for family going in October

Hey all...been reading everything I can on these forums and appreciate all the great information. Hubby and I have 4 kids ranging from 12-15 years and will be staying at HK in October. Can't wait and it's our first time on a big trip like this!!

I've seen the advice to shop at Costco/grocery to save on food costs, but am wondering what the prices are really like? I'm trying to save on our meals so we have more room in the budget for fun! Also, from everything I've read here, it doesn't sound like a luau is worth the money, but I still want to experience the authentic flavors of Hawaii. Any recommendations for a good local meal? We are "when in Rome" type travelers rather than "let's go to Chili's!", if that helps. In fact, my dh is a bit bummed that we aren't making the side trip to Oahu as he wanted to go to the Angry Korean Lady place. lol.

Lastly, does anyone know of a surfing school that would work with physical disabilities? My 12 year old has a foot/balance issue but is bound and determined to take a surfing lesson just like his older siblings. So power to him, but to make his experience the best we can, I'm wondering if there's a specific school anyone thinks might be better.

Thanks for the help!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
814 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for family going in October

If you are a family who enjoys sweets, dine at a TS restaurant, and save your receipt for your next visit. On your next visit to any of the TS Maui restaurants, they will give you a free Hula Pie. I'm totally doing this for our trip next week. The Hula Pie should be large enough to fulfill all your family's sweet...teeth..tooth...tooths? Hahaa...you get the idea.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,909 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for family going in October

If you shop at Costco at home, then I would do the same on Maui, especially if you plan to have some meals at your condo. Even snacks and breakfast foods will be a savings there. However, much will depend on how long your trip is ... if it's a week, I think it's worth it.

For surfing lessons, suggest Goofyfoot in Lahaina. We did a family lesson last year (ages 20's through 50's) and the instructor was great ... they are often recommended here on the forum.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for family going in October

For a family of six wanting to keep a handle on spending, the luau is a tough call. It's almost more about the show/experience than the food. One could argue it's the quintessential Hawaii experience, or argue that it's overpriced tourist schmaltz.

On the other hand, you're probably not going to find poi anywhere else ...

Authentic Hawaiian food is mostly about fish, though, and some pork. And you can find very Hawaiian dishes like macademic-crusted fresh local fish at Hula Grill and Leilani's, both in Whaler's Village in Kaanapali. More knowledgeable TA posters could maybe help steer you toward off-the-beaten-path places for the authentic dining experience you're after.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for family going in October

If you are a Costco member make use of it on Maui. Prices on Maui are very similar to our Costco prices here in Wash. Don't know about Colorado.

Luau are very expensive but only you know if your kids will be entertained. Maybe check out one of the free hula shows at Whaler's Village or the Cannery Mall.

Do check out the Fish Market just north of HK for cheap fish tacos. Take out from Mama's Ribs and Rotisserie in Napili is great with a family. Cool Cat Cafe in Lahaina across from the Banyan Tree is great and they have 1/2 coupons in the books at baggage claim at the airport. We really loved the new Teddy's Bigger Burger in Lahaina Gateway Center.

Be sure you all sample poke...available at the Safeway and Foodland deli's. My tribe goes through a lot of it! Don't miss out on Spam Musubi...great snack to take to the beach.

Fun, and inexpensive, plate lunch with kids is at L &L in Cannery Mall...Katsu Chicken, YUM!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for family going in October

In 2007, the luau at the Royal Lahaina was offering one free child with paying adult. At around $50 pp, that's a $100 savings and MIGHT make it worth it, especially for the kiddos.

Might be worth checking into.........................

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for family going in October

Thanks so much! The tips about the receipt, fish, coupon books, poke in the deli (who would have thought?) etc. etc. are exactly what I need to know. As you can imagine, the food bills add up with teens in general and I have 3 bottomless pit boys. lol! Fish tacos, the mixed plates...I can't wait.

I think they'd enjoy a hula show for a bit just as much as a luau, but if I find a deal, we might check it out. I am weighing that against a snorkeling boat trip. One "can" snorkel inexpensively of course, but the experience of a tour is likely much more fun. That's kind of how I'm deciding on things. X amount of money in 9 days...can't do it all, but we'll make the best of it. Of course, I don't know how we can really go wrong...we will be on Maui after all!:)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,702 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for family going in October

Aloha,

Although some luau offer teen prices (the Hyatt for example)............I say skip it. Do the snorkel trip instead. You can always buy poi in the grocery stores (well, Foodland and Long's anyway), and you can buy other Hawaiian food at Costco, even. There are tubs of kalua pork in Costco, and they also often have laulau and some other typical "local" style foods.

The snorkel trip will be waaaaay more fun for all of you, IMO. Teen boys get bored often at luau. Check Gemini, Teralani, and Trilogy-all leave from Kaanapali Beach and are good. Gemini is my personal fav-they take fewer people than the other two and also often have discounts on their website (and teen pricing!).

You will find food prices here at the grocery stores quite high. Costco will def be your best bet.

P.S. Luau kid pries cut off at 11 or 12 yrs. old.

Edited: 06 September 2012, 03:33
Merced, California
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for family going in October

Hi COrocks.

I agree with everyone about Costco... they are a great resource when feeding hungry boys.

I have been asking for luau recommendations too and from everything I've read and been told... the Old Lahaina is the best. HOWEVER... the price seems prohibitive to a larger family. I really think your boys would be just as happy with a free hula how and more time scuba-ing and surfing.

I'm sure you'll have an amazing trip and please send us a trip report? I'll do the same with my April Maui trip.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for family going in October

If you are wavering between a Luau and a snorkel cruise...spend the bucks on the snorkel cruise! Really, not kidding, especially with teen boys! They do a great job of feeding them too!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for family going in October

If money an issue, skip the luau for big family. to me luau food not that wonderful, however good shows, and we plan one on our trip this year, two of us

We took our family of 15 to one on Kauai at Poipu. 10 years ago, can't remember cost, but 3 or 4 hundred $s. Was worth it for us cause we had family table next to stage. and a few of us got up on stage with dancers. and a great evening of fun