We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

Paris, France
Level Contributor
199 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

Day eight was a beach day. We got up and it was misting, but the weather report was good so we headed out to Kapalua Bay anyway. After all, after multiple days of lazing on the lanai, we were now fast running out of days for snorkeling!

It was misting when we arrived. It misted all day, (on and off) but who cared? We saw lots of rainbows, including one that spanned from one end of the bay to the other. Besides, we were snorkeling. So we were going to get wet one way or the other. And a rainy day on the beach in Maui beats a sunny day anywhere else, hands down.

I saw an octopus, and an eel. DH swam with two large turtles. DB and DC snorkeled for the first time. DB loved it. DC was undecided. She liked the fish okay, but the whole breathing underwater thing freaked her out a bit.

There were such lovely colors in the bay, multiple hues of green and blue and turquoise, with white foamy spray out by the lava rocks. It would have been a beautiful day even if we hadn’t gotten in the water.

I swear that I spent an entire hour staring at the rocks over on the left side of the bay. Some were smooth and rounded. Some were sharp and undercut and resembled tree roots sticking out of the face. Some along the shore were such glossy black that they looked like seals lying on the shore. At home I would never spend an hour studying the rocks. But here, somehow, it seemed like a good use of time.

Afterwards we drove up to the Nakalele Blow Hole. Despite the high tide and a lot of wave action near shore, the blow hole was not blowing. Still, the scenery was breathtakingly beautiful. Some of it reminded us of photographs we have seen of the Scottish countryside. We stood on the point above the blow hole, the wind whipping our hair and clothes, me worrying (as usual) when DS got too close to the edge. That child will be the death of me yet.

On the drive back, we stopped at the Honolua Bay look out. Out at the mouth of the bay there were surfers, but they were not getting much wave action. We had never thought this spot earlier today, since we thought Honolua would be a bad bet at this time of year.

Far below us, though, the water was like glass. There were no waves. There was no chop. Visibility was so perfect that we could see the coral on the reef from high above. At first we were thoroughly disappointed. But then we realized that new snorkelers do not belong here anyway. The entry is just too difficult. And for us, it was more important to be with our friends, to keep them safe, to watch as they marveled at the wonders of the underwater world. Still, if you are not a neophyte, don’t automatically be scared of going here in winter.

Check it out instead. You too might get lucky.

At home we threw our Huli Huli chicken (that had been marinating all day) on the grill. I make my own marinade at home, but on vacation we usually buy the bottled stuff. We had picked up the last bottle at Walmart but…somehow it didn’t make it home with us. So we mixed our own and then agreed, it is better than the bottled stuff. We had stopped to buy some mac salad from Mama’s Rotisserie Chicken in Napili. We added some rice and had our own plate lunch.

While we were enjoying our dinner, we watched yet more whales from the lanai. And then…dolphins! They were probably only 75 yards off shore. They were leaping and spinning with abandon, flying through the air, seemingly attempting to outdo one another with their incredible acrobatics. What fun!

After dinner, we enjoyed some Tropilicious ice cream. This seems to be filling the space that the Rosalini’s has vacated on most store shelves here. We had lilikoi sorbet and toasted coconut ice cream. I must admit, I enjoyed it immensely, maybe even more than Rosalini’s, though it is twice the cost.

As I write this, the smell of tuberose fills our condo. It’s sweet fragrance smells like the islands. We bought two stalks of it at Safeway when we arrived. It was another idea recommended on the forums, and it is something we will be sure to do again. We have been enjoying it this trip.

We also have been enjoying our scented soaps! We bought several Paradise Garden soaps at the swap meet last weekend, and we have them throughout our condominium. These soaps are so gentle, and they too smell like the islands. It’s a special treat every time we wash our hands or take a shower. I love these soaps so much that I have them shipped to me in Colorado. It reminds me of my last Maui vacation, and my next one as well.

It’s hard to believe this is the note for Day Eight of our trip. The time has flown by. It has been filled with whales and naps, good food and good friends, shave ice and beautiful sun rises. Stay tuned. There’s still a few days left.

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
315 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

Wonderful report once again - I have gathered many hints and suggestions from them - thank you.

...are you sharing your recipe for the Huli Huli chicken marinade?.....;)

Can't wait to get out in those waters and snorkel too!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

Your reports are the next best thing to being there. Now longing for some lilikoi sherbet. Wonder what's happened to Roselani ice cream?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,979 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

Haven't told my Hubbie about the dearth of Roselani yet...I'm fearing a meltdown!

My snorkel crew has had some of their best snorkel adventures at Honolua in the winter. Always good to check it out.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

A wonderful way to start my day! I don't mind heading out in the drizzle to deliver my papers now... no rainbows here, but I shall have many "pictures" to entertain me while I am out there now!

Thanks again!

Edited: 26 January 2013, 15:56
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

czar, just say the word and I can put up your recipe... I still have it, and it would save you some time, something you don't have much left of...

I shall have to go back and reread your last trip again!!!

Falcon, Colorado
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

I am looking forward to your trip reports every day! Wow- I hope to see an octopus when we go in October. It sounds like you have had a magical trip so far!

Level Contributor
34,246 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

Will stay tuned! Sounds like you're having a wonderful time! :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
199 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

Hi Janis!

Here is my marinade recipe. After many years of tweaking it, it tastes closest to the huli huli chicken I have enjoyed at various places on the island. I have no idea how authentic it is, just that it seems to taste right. True huli huli chicken is made using trademarked recipe.

1/2 cup ketchup

1/4 cup shoyo soy sauce. (if I use regular soy sauce I generally use a little less as it can be quite a bit stronger)

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup sweet whit wine like reisling

1/4 cup frozen pineapple juice concentrate, thawed

1 tsp ginger paste or 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger

hot sauce to taste (I generally add just a few drops, and any variety is fine)

Big secret it to mix up two separate batches. Marinate your chicken in one. Use the other to douse your chicken as it cooks, being careful to not contaminate the spoon or whatever else you are using to coat the chicken. (For this reason, I do not use a brush to paint my chicken, but instead use a baster or pour it off of a spoon.)

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,500 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

Thanks for the recipe. After just returning from Maui, I'm on a chicken and salad diet anyway, so may as well remind myself of my calorie laden time! Wonder how it will taste without the brown sugar....

I love Kapalua Bay; thanks for bringing me there. You are correct about Honolua Bay, I wouldn't go in because of the entry, and I've been snorkeling for 14 years! A boat trip there would be heaven.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
378 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report, January 16-26, 2013, Day Eight

Another great installment to your trip report, thank you! I'm going to check out the Paradise Garden soaps. We need a little reminder of Maui in our house to get us in the mood for our next trip in March.

Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali