We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honua Kai - Unit 347

Walnut Grove
8 posts
Save Topic
Honua Kai - Unit 347

Has anyone ever rented from this unit? Why is the price so low compared to other units?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,027 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honua Kai - Unit 347

Do you have a link for the rental listing?

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,381 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honua Kai - Unit 347

Perhaps the unit is facing the mountains instead of the ocean. Can you send us the link?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,027 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honua Kai - Unit 347

Is this the listing that you're looking at? The rates listed are for 2011. Have you received a quote for your stay? www.hotelsvshomes.com/listing.aspx…

.. or is there a more current listing on another site that you're referring to?

Walnut Grove
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honua Kai - Unit 347

Hi The unit is in the courtyard, facing black rock. I am super happy with that, and the price is 300$. I am just curious about the owner. According to one of the reviews, he is no frills. He doesnt even do a rental contract!? Small deposit of 250. I found him through VRBO. My gut is saying it is fine, but, still curious. thanks everyone!!!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,027 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honua Kai - Unit 347

<<"He doesnt even do a rental contract!?">>

That's a reason to be concerned as you'll have nothing to fall back on if something goes wrong with the rental, or if he decides to alter the terms after you've booked.

Also, "if your gut is saying it is fine" but you're asking here...then your head and your gut aren't in sync. Follow your head on this an do your due diligence. Read the help section of VRBO for their tips on renting securely. One of the first things they mention is to read and sign a rental agreement.

It might be a legitimate listing and he's just offering it at an unusually low price, but you have some doubts, so resolve them before sending any payment. Speaking of payment ... will he accept a credit card?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honua Kai - Unit 347

What are the payment methods? Does he accept credit cards? He is definitely the owner according to Property Tax Records (basing the name from your other thread).

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honua Kai - Unit 347

Do not rent without a rental contract. The first time 'I went with my gut' and rented without a contract, it did not turn out well. After flying to Montana for my friend's wedding, I arrived at the house @ 11pm, only to find out that he rented it to someone else who was already there!!! The owner was a jerk, and it took me months to get my deposit back. Plus I had to book a hotel and pay so much more. I was pissed! Now I only book with owners who send me a rental contract and take credit cards.

Edited: 05 February 2013, 01:53
Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honua Kai - Unit 347

We are renting this unit in April. Yes, the owner is no-frills but he seems honest. Once you pay in full you do get something in writing, he just doesn't do a contract ahead of the fact. He has actually called me twice to speak to me directly! I don't think in this case you should worry but will post back after April if I learn otherwise. If I don't post again, everything went fine.

This owner does take PayPal which offers you the security of using a credit card if you want. I used PayPal with this rental. In fact, it was the preferred payment method.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honua Kai - Unit 347

We are renting this unit in April. Yes, the owner is no-frills but he seems honest. Once you pay in full you do get something in writing, he just doesn't do a contract ahead of the fact. He has actually called me twice to speak to me directly! I don't think in this case you should worry but will post back after April if I learn otherwise. If I don't post again, everything went fine.

This owner does take PayPal which offers you the security of using a credit card if you want. I used PayPal with this rental. In fact, it was the preferred payment method.

Walnut Grove
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honua Kai - Unit 347

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you posting about this. I had the same feeling that you do, and read some reviews that say the same thing. Can you post regardless, just so I can get your opinion on the shape of the unit and the view? I am pretty excited!! Have a great time!