We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the bad odor?

Level Contributor
210 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
What's the bad odor?

Can anyone tell me what is the cause of the foul sewage type odor in the Kaanapali around Roys and the golf course? Everytime we left our hotel at the Westin and had to drive by this area it reeked? How sad for restaurant guest!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the bad odor?

There is a sewage treatment facility nearby.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the bad odor?

The treatment facility is across the Honoapiilani Highway from the Westin Villas, not the Westin Hotel on Kaanapali Parkway.... that is over a mile away...

Unless the wind is blowing directly South, you should not be able to smell it by the Roy's on Kaanapali Parkway and it should not be very strong at that distance.

It could be several things.... maybe a break in a sewer line, could be that the area was fertilized recently or that there is something dead in the area.

I would complain to the resort...

Plover, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
538 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the bad odor?

It smelled the same when we were there in early march everytime you came up to the light at Roy's.

Level Contributor
210 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the bad odor?

Yes Sharpedge that is exactly where it is the strongest or at least when we were there only a week ago. The heavy tradewinds had calmed down by then so cant blame them. It was pretty consistent with really no winds. So sad as it really was unpleasant. We were staying on the back end of the Westin Resort Hotel and thought it might be nice to leave the patio door open at night but had to close due to smell.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,829 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the bad odor?

Aloha,

Sorry to correct you, LWJ--but there is a different sewage collection station, as mentioned--almost right across from Roy's. It is part of the original Kaanapali system, which was built back in the early 60's.

The plant up the highway is separate and a County built facility. The K'pali one is tied into the County, but gets overwhelmed when the area is full (like now).

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the bad odor?

We smelled it in that same area a few weeks ago. First time I had noticed it there.

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the bad odor?

swmarket,

Google mapped the area.... is it the three circular buildings across the road, behind the yellow-roofed building?

Didn't even realize that it was there....

Mahalo

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the bad odor?

When the hotels are full the little substation near the Hwy and Kaanapali Parkway smells. Nothing is broken, it just is outdated infrastructure.

There is a maintenance yard for the Kaanapali Trolley on the mountain side of the hwy.

Level Contributor
210 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the bad odor?

Guess that explains the bad odor then...unfortunate and unpleasant but not a game changer. Still Paradise!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the bad odor?

This reminds me of an old friend of mine who made his living as a plumber and used to say..."one man's $h#t, is another man's bread and butter."

Not sure why, but felt like a good thing to post on this thread.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 16:52