We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The North Shore of Maui

Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
The North Shore of Maui

Before I went to Maui, I heard so much about the Road to Hana. On our last day, my husband and I drove up the North Shore of Maui and realized that this is an area that needs more press. It has beautiful views, two lane, paved roads, so many beaches and so many photo opportunities and trails for those who like to hike and walk! Do not take a trip to Maui without driving up to the North Shore near Napili. You will not be disappointed!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The North Shore of Maui

From Napili to the Nakalele blowhole is my favorite part of Maui...I agree, it's beautiful!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The North Shore of Maui

Absolutely gorgeous area of Maui. Love it!!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,753 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The North Shore of Maui

Agree ... it's a very scenic drive to the blowhole and back!

A woman who I chatted with briefly at the blowhole told me that had she known how scenic that drive was, they would have skipped the drive to Hana the day before as they found it too long, and were enjoying the scenery more on the drive to the blowhole.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The North Shore of Maui

Glad you "discovered" it Jules! Many of us rec the drive north to the blow-hole with stops all along the way at the gorgeous beaches! Hope you took the lower road back through Kapalua, Napili, Kahana and Honokowai...fun little slice of Maui!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The North Shore of Maui

And now that road to the blowhole is newly paved, and a much improved parking area as well. Makes turning around so much easier! No bottoming out with the rental car either!

Rogue River, Oregon
Level Contributor
337 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The North Shore of Maui

Sshhh!. This is our "secret part of Maui" and a thousand others' secret spot. When people ask about what they can "do" on Maui, I think: if this doesn't sound like fun, I don't know what you can "do."

Chicago
Level Contributor
504 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The North Shore of Maui

We are visiting Maui after 16 years; this time with our kids in March. We are very curious about this area and wanted to drive up to the North Shore area beaches. We were hoping to see some surfers: what beach would be recommended on the north shore? what is the blowhole? Any great road side restaurants/food options?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,682 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The North Shore of Maui

On a good day, you will see surfers at Honolua.

Nakalele Blow Hole is where in good wave conditions, the water blows up through great force and it is a water spout. Observe from afar...dangerous to get too close or go near the ocean there because of waves. You will see people there way too close, but people have paid for it with their lives. At that point on the road, you turn around and go back. Going further voids your rental car contract and is dangerous.

In Kapalua, I would do lunch at the Plantation House. Unbelievable beautiful views of the area.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,522 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The North Shore of Maui

got to agree with travelbugged we love the Plantation House. For beaches, Kapalua Bay is my favorite. It has a small parking area, get there early, then you walk through this little tunnel to the beach, a lovely spot. The coastal hiking trail begins here too.

Right behind Kapalua is Napili Bay also a very nice beach - it's where we stay on Island. Theres a nice restaurant here too - the Sea House - right on the water.

Dave

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The North Shore of Maui

Honolua Bay would be the place to watch surfing on Maui during the winter months in that area. Just be aware that your rental car contract will prohibit you from driving any further north than the blow hole!! Hookipa, which is just past Paia would also be a good place to watch surfing.