We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

My husband and I are traveling to Maui with our 4 month old son in December. We are looking for suggestions of where to stay, possibly with a kitchenette, so we can cook meals, but with a resort type feel with a pool, restaurants, etc. We want to also be on the beach, or walking distance to the beach. We would be willing to spend up to $300/night. We want to stay in Ka'anapali so we can walk to town unless you have a better suggestion.

We've looked at the Sheraton, the Fairmont, and the Westin.

Please tell us your suggestions. We'd like to book something tonight (11/14/13) if possible.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

What part of December? It makes a HUGE difference with that budget. Earlier in December will be best.

"walk to town"... do you mean Lahaina? It is done, but not advisable, especially with baby.

Won't you have a rental car? Best to get one, for sure, so you can enjoy more of Maui. If a Costco member, check their website, otherwise use DiscountHawaiicarrental. DO NOT prepay. Just get the car reserved, and then check back every couple of days to see the rates drop. Then you can re book it, and cancel the preexisting reservation.

Try the Honua Kai. It is on the northern stretch of Ka'anapali, but new, and will give you lots more room, and a full kitchen. Bonus for the washer and dryer too.

Are you familiar with vrbo? Plunk in your dates and see what comes up.

Do let us know the dates, and we can help you more.

Fun times! Hope you have a good hat for the baby! Do they make sunglasses that small???? Oh, and go buy some more memory cards for the camera too!

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

The Sheraton is a hotel in the Ka'anapali Resort area so no kitchens. You would be able to walk to restaurants and shopping at Whalers Village.

The Fairmont is in Wailea down south.

Do you mean the Westin Hotel or the Westin Villas?

Joan's suggestion of Honua Kai is a good one.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

Welcome to TA! You are looking at hotels, for condos look at Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas, Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas and Honua Kai all just north of the main Kaanapali resort area. You can access shuttles from the Westin Villas and the MKV into Whaler's Village. you would need to drive from the Honua Kai but there are some shopping and dining options near that too.

Please tell us you are not trying to book for the Christmas holiday time...prices are high and, at this point availability is low. Rental cars are selling out.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

Thank you for the quick responses!

We are traveling December 8-13. We're not set on a hotel versus condo/villa. We're hoping to be convinced one way or another by everyone's vast knowledge! My husband keeps going back to the Sheraton. What are your thoughts on the Sheraton?

Yes they make sunglasses small enough for our cute little guy, and we're lucky enough to have a pair! :-)

Looking forward to your additional information,

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,048 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

The Sheraton is a lovely hotel with all your resort amenities, 10 minute walk to Whaler's Village for more shopping and dining and a free hourly shuttle into the old Whaling town of Lahaina.

Ok...the old Mom, is coming out here, just can't let it go. Do you have anyone at home to keep the little one while you vacation? A December flight full of flu, snot and germs, and severe altitude changes with the flights and time changes would not be how I would introduce my child to travel.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

We have travelled to Maui 4 times with our granddaughters starting when they were both in diapers. Just came back and they are 4 and 6. Would not have missed that experience for the world. We just used a lot of hand sanitizer and nobody ever got sick. Most kids adjust well, ours did. First morning they had me out on the beach for sunrise.

Sheraton is ok they will put a refrig in the room at no charge but that is all you get.

If you want a hotel in Kaanapali that is probably the best choice. Best part of the beach.

There are condos north of Black Rock, Westin and Honua Kai that have full kitchens. There are lots of places Kihei and Wailea as well. The Fairmont in Wailea is great all suites, refig, microwave kids pool. We stay at Polo Beach right next door. They all advertise as 2 bedroom but you can ask for a one bedroom and many of the owners will give you a discount. Full kitchen, pull out bed in living room, 2 bath. Great beach almost completely private as it is at the end of the line, small but nice pool.Your timing is perfect, one of the slowest times on Maui. Right after Thanksgiving and before the Christmas rush. I've done that time and it was very slow.Should have plenty of choices. You could go to the search engine on TA plug in your dates and sort by price. You will see most of what is available with pictures and reviews. The when you narrow it down you can come back here and see if anyone has an specific info on your choices

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

Condos have more space. There's no town, though. Did you mean Whaler's Village shopping area?

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
357 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

Any hotel in Kaanapali along the walkway would be nice if you are taking your stroller- you could easily go for walks along the beach, enjoy the sunset, etc. What a nice getaway to enjoy time together! My kids have been flying since they were infants & did fine. It was as my kids got older that we always seemed to get some kind of sickness! Have a great trip!

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

We went last Thanksgiving with our 4 month old. Overall it was a pretty easy trip (although we overpacked) and he did great! Just have realistic expectations about what your time there will be like and you'll have a fantastic time. We spent a lot of time just pushing the stroller in Whalers Village and on Front Street. Try to get a place where you can enjoy just sitting on your lanai. It makes a difference.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay with a 4 month old in Ka'anapali?

I always like condos for families. When Baby is napping or has early bedtime you are not stuck in a hotel room. Mom and Dad can still feel they are on vacation in a condo LR or on a quiet lanai. There's just more *space* for the crib and baby gear. Most condos have lots of beach equipment too. You are not required to "cook" anything, but having the kitchen and a washer/dryer makes for 'home from home'.

December is winter in Hawaii. The ocean will have changed from calmer north to calmer south. I also like low-rise, low-density better than tall elevator buildings with a child. (Everything's an 'expedition' with a kid! LOL)

I like this site for South Maui condos: www.mauiownercondos.com Friends with babies have enjoyed Hale Pau Hana, Wailea Ekahi and Elua, Maui Kamaole and The Palms. Look from South Kihei on through Wailea.