We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

California
Level Contributor
43 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

My mom and dad are taking our family and my sister's family to Maui at the end of March to celebrate their 50th (!!!!) wedding anniversary. We want to plan/surprise them with a special dinner. The Kaanapali area is best since we are staying there, but we can drive a bit if need be. There will be 4 well behaved children in our group. I know my parents would enjoy a restaurant with amazing views, great food and service--something special to mark their special anniversary. Any advice is greatly appreciated! 10 people would be the party size.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
973 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

If you want to stay in the Kaanapali area, I'd suggest Duke's:

http://www.dukesmaui.com/plan-an-event

It's not too formal, but if there's any whales lingering at the end of March, you may be able to see them from your table.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

Mala in Lahaina or Merriman's in Kapalua.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
116 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

I would suggest Roy's. It is an upscale Hawaiian restaurant with amazing Hawaiian fusion cuisine.

http://www.roysrestaurant.com/

Arlington, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

Plantation Golf Club - FABULOUS VIEWS - wonderful food - pricey, but worth it for a special occasion. It is in Kapalua - check out the golf channel for views from the golf course as the tournament there has been on TV this past week and may still be going on.

http://theplantationhouse.com/

California
Level Contributor
43 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

Thank you for the suggestions. What do you think about Merrimans for a special dinner with a view?

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

Absolutely, Merriman's would be my first choice followed by Pacific O. We are scheduled to be at both at the end of this month-we will see what the weather has in store!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

We like Roy's and go there at least a couple of times each trip, but I don't think their view compares to one of the many mentioned oceanfront restaurants. After all, it's a celebration of FIFTY YEARS of marriage! THAT deserves something very, very special. Great suggestions from the other posters.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,114 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

<<What do you think about Merrimans for a special dinner with a view?>>

That would be my first choice. Yes, it is up the road from Ka`anapali, but worth that little trip. We have dined there six times, and two were from Ka`anapali, with four from the Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, or "right next door."

We dined at Māla three times, and were unimpressed. On the first, they had just opened, so we gave them a second shot. Friends insisted that we just hit them on a off night, so we did the third. There will not be a fourth. Maybe just bad karma?

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

Merriman's Kapalua has, arguably, the best restaurant location on Maui - oceanfront on the south point of Kapalua Bay. The sunset views of Molokai and Lanai in the near horizon are stunning. Some here in the forum have mentioned spotty service, but we've never been disappointed in our several dining experiences there. Terrific food, great wine list, fabulous views, always a memorable meal. Have lots of headroom on your gold card - it is indeed pricey.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,426 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant with an amazing view and great food?

Agree with Merriman's. Fabulous view, great food. Definitely a special restaurant. It also can easily accommodate bigger groups. They will also have a special dessert for them.

Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali