We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ka'anapali or Napili?

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ka'anapali or Napili?

Hello!

I have just started the process of planning our first visit to Hawaii and have settled on 4 nights on Oahu and 10 nights on Maui. I think I've narrowed it down further to either Napili or Ka'anapali, and would appreciate some advice as to which would suit myself and my husband better. We're 40 years old, we like to chill, don't mind driving (we will have a rental car), want an ocean front/view condo and prefer 'quiet' over 'noise'.

Our budget is up to $350 a night and we are planning a late September/early October visit. Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thank you :-)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,624 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ka'anapali or Napili?

Personally, with your budget, I would choose Napili Kai Beach Resort! I have never stayed there, but I have read about them on this forum and walked the grounds several times. Quiet, on the beach, close to awesome restaurants and spectacular beach location! Your description made me think Napili right away and then I saw the budget and that sealed the deal! Deb

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ka'anapali or Napili?

Ditto what Deb said. Exactly.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ka'anapali or Napili?

Napili Kai would be a great choice in September. Beautiful beach and great employees. The old gracious Hawaii feeling. Understated class.

If you want the air temp to be a few degrees warmer then I would be looking at Maui Kaanapali Villas.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,946 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ka'anapali or Napili?

First - I would take those 14 nights and cut them in half - half for Oahu and half for Maui. Unless you have been to Oahu before (alot) ... well, there is SO much to do and see there. Unfortunately, some think that Oahu is simply Honolulu ... but the Island is mostly rural ... and gorgeous with some great sights!

OK -- and I would choose Ka'anapali. Much more walkable ... more to do ... expecially if this is your first visit. Easy access to restaurants, shopping and activities. Some areas are very quiet ... like the Sheraton Maui. I like Napili ... but Ka'anapali is more engaging.

Here is a rough map of the Ka'anapali resort area. kaanapaliresort.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/…

If you scroll down and click on the property names below, you'll get an aerial view. I generally disregard the commentary on this particular site. hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,877 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ka'anapali or Napili?

I like your plan...10 days is perfect on Maui to see a lot, yet still include that down time. I agree with the others about Napili. Beautiful area and in Sept/Oct in can be very hot on island and you can get nicer breezes there if they are blowing at all. I stay just north of there in Kapalua and love the area for the beauty and quiet. I would not hesitate to stay at the Napili Kai though!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ka'anapali or Napili?

This is easy for me, Napili all the way. Will give you a different vibe from Oahu that Kaanapali won't.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ka'anapali or Napili?

Napili is definitely more quiet than Ka'anapali very low key.

Napili Kai would be nice and also within your budget you could get a 1 bedroom condo a Napili Sunset you would be beachfront with an awesome view. We stayed there in 2011 but in a studio that is not beachfront it is a very quiet complex and we enjoyed our stay there.

www.napilisunset.com

September is a very nice month to be in Napili but most of the places do not have AC i know the Sunset does but only in the studios since they are not beachfront not sure if the Napili Kai has it or not.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 17:44
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ka'anapali or Napili?

I agree with everyone, Napili. We were there last month, great beach, great snorkeling, great place to rent an SUP board (it was only $40 for the day) great place to go for a beautiful morning walk and the sunsets are awesome from Napili beach. If you want more action just drive down the street Kaanapali.

Kenai, Alaska
Level Contributor
357 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ka'anapali or Napili?

We have stayed in both Ka'anapali and Napili. I agree what you are describing sounds like Napili. There are advantages to both- namely more action within walking distance in Ka'anapali, but we prefer Napili. Napili Bay and Kapalua Bay are wonderful beaches, which would both be easily accessible, and it is a quieter area.

I also immediately thought of Napili Kai when I read your post. Napili Kai is a beautiful resort- we have walked through it many times and friends have stayed there and been pleased. We stay at Napili Point, which we love- we have 3 kids & can't afford the size of condo we'd need at Napili Kai. There is a nice restaurant at Napili Kai, too. That would be my first choice if I were you! The beachfront rooms will have spectacular views off the point- I would be choosy in selecting a room option, though, as, with any property of that size, there are a fair amount that face inward or the parking lot. The grounds are really nice, though, so a garden view would not be bad, either. I believe some of the rooms (maybe the ones in the complexes farther from the beach?) have a/c, but not all. Good luck making a decision and have a wonderful trip!

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ka'anapali or Napili?

Wow, thank you all so much, we really, really appreciate all your advice.

Thank you :-)