We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo vs Resort Advice

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Condo vs Resort Advice

Hi Trip Advisors,

I'm flying to Maui from HNL for 6 nights on 6 June. Can't seem to decide on accommodation.

Condo or Resort - they both have pros and cons.

I found a deal for $746pp at the Westin Resort & Spa (incl return flights HNL- Maui) ithat seems pretty cheap. However I like the reviews I've read about the Aston Whaler Condos. (Westin reviews were mediocre)

Travelling with my Fiancé, we are 30, no kids. enjoy entertainment, watching sunsets, drinking cocktails that sort of thing but also enjoy being self sufficient. It really comes down to value for money for us. If I stay in Condo I don't want to walk past breathtaking resorts and wish I'd stayed there instead.

Any thoughts?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,622 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo vs Resort Advice

30 no kids, go with the resort. You have plenty of time for condos when you have kids and want the extra room and want to save money by fixing meals in.

Go enjoy the resort.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo vs Resort Advice

Some people don't like the Westin, but I'm not sure why. I stayed there and absolutely loved it. I thought the grounds were great and I loved the pool. Their pool can attract kids, but there is also an adult pool, which we utilized a lot too. The location is right next door to Whaler's Village, which have some nice places to eat and have a cocktail in the evenings as well. We enjoyed the bar at the adults only pool as well.

A condo can have many advantages too if you are trying to keep the cost down. You can have breakfast in your condo very easily by just stopping at a grocery store and buying some breakfast foods, as well as stocking up on some snacks and beverages.

If you liked the price of the Westin and are looking for the resort feel, then I say go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo vs Resort Advice

Take the resort. That's a great price for the westin if ut includes air fare. We loved it there. Your room will have a small fridge as well so you can keep drinks and snacks in it. You're right next door to Whalers Village and there is a free shuttle that takes you to Lahaina. Call ahead and rent a cabana for the day. Ask for #9 if you can get it. It's at the adult pool with a gorgeous view of the ocean. There is bar service as well. Enjoy!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo vs Resort Advice

Thanks so much guys. Consensus says go for the resort! Appreciate ur tips :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo vs Resort Advice

One final question, I'm reading a lot about resort fees and hidden costs. Any idea what the daily "extra" is at the Westin?

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo vs Resort Advice

Resort fee is 35 dollars a day. That covers your self parking, wi fi, and you get two bottles of water per day in your fridge. It also gets you a 4x6 photo taken by the onsite photographer. Resort fees suck but seem to be a fact of life now. I'd rather they just add it to the room cost. Book your photo session as soon as you can. Just go to the photographer desk in the lobby and write your name in the book. That picture is one of our favorite souvenirs.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 15:35
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,622 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo vs Resort Advice

Here is the current "resort fees Hawaii" link. It says what they are and what you get.

travel-hawaii.com/hawaiiresortfees.html

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo vs Resort Advice

You might check out Honua Kai Resort also as it is a luxury resort but with condo accommodations. That way you don't have to decide between condo or resort because you'll get the best of both worlds.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo vs Resort Advice

Go to wizardpub.com and put in Maui and choose aerial reviews then Ka'anapali. I would opt for the best view that you can get for your budget. I have been in the pool at The Whaler, and it is just ok. If you're a pool person vs. the ocean then the Westin's adult pool might be more to your liking.

You can always walk through any resort and go to any beach here in Hawaii.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1,643 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo vs Resort Advice

I'm actually going to suggest the other way and go for the condo! We are also in our 30s and are currently on vacation in Hawaii. On my first day I walked past some of the resorts and thought....I wish I had stayed there. However then we walked past a couple more and I realised that many of them were full of kids and families and the pools were too busy all the time. It's just too busy for our liking.

We are in a nice condo in Kaanapali and we love the freedom of eating in when we want and dining out when we want. We also aren't paying any resort or parking fees which is a big plus!