We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach for bare feet

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach for bare feet

Hi,

Our extended family is planning on staying in Ka'anapali in November. Keen on a beachfront resort or condo, however we want to stay somewhere where the beach out the front is sandy, so that we can walk out into the ocean in bare feet. From reading a few threads it seems like some of the beach areas require reef/beach shoes to avoid coral etc underfoot? Can anybody help? Thanks :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach for bare feet

Kaanapali beach anywhere basically.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach for bare feet

I wouldn't worry about it. The vast majority of beaches on Maui are sandy and have sandy entries. Lived there for 5 years and never bought a pair of reef/water shoes. Kaanapali beach will be fine.

You do want to avoid stepping on anything that isn't sand while in the water. Coral will die if you step on it!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach for bare feet

^^ thanks for the replies guys :) I did mean the already hard dead bits, too By the way!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach for bare feet

We are bare foot people all the way but you'd be surprised how hot the sidewalks and sand can get. Always have a lair of flip flops handy.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach for bare feet

John is correct on a good sunny afternoon you can burn those barefeet of yours... keep some sandals or shoes handy. You don't really need reef/water shoes in Hawaii. The best stretch of Ka'anapali improper is south from the Westin ORV to the Marriott anywhere within this area is ok. Beyond gets a little trickier.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beach for bare feet

One of the best pastimes we had when last at the Sheraton there was sitting at one of those surfboard tables they have there having a quiet drink and watching the people do the mad sprint down to the water as the sand was sooooo hot. Kept us entertained for quite a while.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beach for bare feet

Well you would have really enjoyed my first experience many years ago with a scuba tank on my back as well as the surprise of a family when I jumped on their blanket. Talk about panic

8. Re: Best Beach for bare feet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 06:16