We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help Us Choose!

Ferndale, WA
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help Us Choose!

We are a family of four (11 and 13 year old children), taking a very last minute trip to Maui in July for 10 days. Looking for a great beach to swim at, semi quiet resort and comfortable accommodations. We will have a car so will be exploring other areas as well. I'm trying to decide between Maui Kaanapali Villas (aloha tower second floor), Honua Kai (Konea tower sixth floor) or the Whaler (tower 2, third floor). Ocean view isn't as important to us as I'm hoping we'll be out and about more than in the room. All have similar pricing. Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
500 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help Us Choose!

My vote would be for Honua Kai. The units are all relatively new and quite spacious. There are three pools that will likely appeal more to your children. The pools at the other locations you mentioned are at more basic.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
619 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help Us Choose!

Since you don't want to be in the middle of all the action, Whalers is not a good choice. If you want to be a bit away from it all, I would suggest Honua Kai. Easy choice.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help Us Choose!

We just got back from Honua Kai and loved it! It is a new resort and everything is upscale....stainless steel, granite countertops, brand new comfortable beds! The other two resorts you mentioned are older.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help Us Choose!

Maui Kaanapali Villas and Hanua Kai are on quieter stretches of beach with good snorkeling. The Whaler puts you in the center of Kaanapali Beach, which is better for swimming than snorkeling. The Whaler is also walking distance to Whaler's Village (shops, restaurants). All three put you a short drive from anything on West Maui and, let's face it, most of Maui is no more than an hour drive (except Hana).

There are no "bad" picks in those three, so whichever you choose should be a great vacation.

Have fun!

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help Us Choose!

We had breakfast one morning at the Castaway Cafe which is located on the grounds of Maui Kaanapali Villas. I was not impressed with the property at all. The pool was on the smaller side and had a tacky-looking gate around it. It just looked cheap to me. The grounds at the Honua Kai are massive and beautiful with multiple pools and jacuzzi's, water slide, lazy river, etc. I would definately recommend Honua Kai!

Edited: 20 June 2014, 20:33
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help Us Choose!

The beach is better at Maui Kaanapali Villas. and a little more protected from the wind. Castaways rents space from MKV and has a nice staff in a frumpy atmosphere . . . . but they have a great wine list.

You can walk next door to eat at Royal Lahaina in the sandwhich shop or the dining room.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,367 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help Us Choose!

I would go with Maui Kaanapali Villas or Honua Kai. Honua Kai is newer but I think the MKV wins as far as having a nice beach in front. MKV has a lot of history and I like the feel of it and very spacious grounds. HK is very nice also though. I think you would like either.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help Us Choose!

We stayed at Honua Kai Konea 4th floor and had a mountain view. It overlooked a large open space so we did not hear outside noises at all. It is very close to a grocery store and Ono Tacos. Loved it.

California
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Help Us Choose!

I think most people would pick these three in order plus it's very easy to drive/walk to family friendly beaches if you don't like what you have. Honua Kai has the better pool for kids but the other two have access to better beaches.

1. Honua Kai

2. Whaler

3. Kaanapali Villa's

10. Re: Please Help Us Choose!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:17