We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

LA
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

...what beach would you go to tomorrow that would be less windy. Would love to find a calmer beach where we could snorkel and hang out on the beach with our 6 year old son. Willing to drive to a great spot.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 03:24
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

Maui has been under an island wide rain/wind/flood watch today and into tomorrow. Suggest browsing Lahaina and maybe taking in the Maui Ocean Center. Brown water after a storm should keep you out of the water.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

Have you been following the thread on here about the flood watch it lasts thru tomorrow and this is a island wide system so it would be hard to predict what tomorrow will bring. Maybe you should wait until tomorrow and watch the local weather.

Lots of brown water out there which you should stay out of.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 03:36
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,640 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

While I know it can be a bummer-be glad the wind DID come up. It is what is pushing the storm on out. The winds all over were bad-take a look at Maui Watch or the thread mentioned above, and you will see what we mean.

The brown water advisory-which you should take very seriously-is pretty much island wide.

LA
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

Thanks for all the comments. We have been following the weather patterns and spent our morning in Lahaina. Saw lots of brown water on our way there. I was hoping if the west side was rough maybe another side would be calmer. Maybe we'll walk down towards Black Rock tomorrow looking for some protection.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,640 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

Here's a link to Maui Watch:

https://www.facebook.com/MAUIWatch

There's another wave coming down now............but Upcountry and Hana side are still getting the worst.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

Chefola,if there continues to be brown water tomorrow you will really want to stay out of the water...not only is it kinda icky but Also makes the water murky...murky water, people, sharks, get the picture....forgive my bluntness

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,862 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

Others have given you great advice... This was a summer tropical storm passing the Hawaiian islands... This is not just the whole island of Maui being affected, but the Big Island, Lanai, Molokai...

The brown water will go away in a day or two. Usually Kaanapali is quicker to clear than other areas because it doesn't get as much run off.. But it still may take a day. I would consider a pool day or other activity day rather than beach/ocean.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
33 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

If I will be flying into Maui on Wednesday around 3PM, do you think the brown water will still be there?

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

It clears out very quickly...but always check with the lifeguards...big rains storms are the cause of brown water, if the storms pass through...as they are expected to you will be fine

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
49,640 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If it was windy in Kaanapali today...

It's much calmer now, and though we are still under a flood watch, all other advisories were cancelled last night. However, the water will need today at least to settle down and clear. Most of Maui got major rain, and what comes down (even upslope on the mountain) eventually keeps going downhill. I agree that Kaanapali MAY be clear by late this morning-but please do not risk life or limb by going out when it's murky.