We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Insurance?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Insurance?

Do you recommend buying trip insurance? If so, what reputable company do you use? I would assume it would cover the cost of the flight (a little under 3K), condo (about 2K) and car rental($400)? We'll be there for 9 days.

Thanks again!

Skyline Eco Adventure
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Blue Maui Ocean Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
West Maui Parasail
Parasailing & Paragliding
Dallas
Level Contributor
23,887 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Trip Insurance?

John, but you do not buy that for "trip insurance" it is part of your catastrophic medical insurance planning. You carry that 24/7/365. It has nothing to do with trips.

But I agree if you book something with a very large, non-refundable deposit, that's worth looking at.

I'm only saying that those that say "always buy trip insurance" are wrong. You have to look at the details and individual circumstances.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Trip Insurance?

Don't disagree that was my point only buy it when I think I might need it when it makes sense financially to prevent a big loss.actually don't dive at home water is too cold only when I travel

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,038 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Trip Insurance?

Right. I think a lot of us are saying the same thing that everyone has to look at their own circumstances in making a decision. however I don't think it's just about refundable deposits ... As I said the trip interruption insurance is to me one of the most valuable aspects. If you get injured or a family member at home gets injured or you otherwise have to interrupt your vacation you'll get paid back for all those nights you miss and that way it's easier on the pocketbook both to return and to make the call to interrupt a trip.

Good trip insurance will also cover you if you get laid off and can't afford to go, or your work cancels your vacation, or in my case something comes up with my work and I can't leave ... But many people may not have those concerns or considerations with their work or they don't work outside the home so that's one factor to weigh in the risk/reward columns.

It's an interesting and valuable conversation to have - many people don't even consider trip insurance until they wish they would have.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Trip Insurance?

For sure

Canada
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Trip Insurance?

SheaG "It's an interesting and valuable conversation to have - many people don't even consider trip insurance until they wish they would have." EXACTLY!

36. Re: Trip Insurance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Ka'anapali