We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coarl Coast over Xmas with 2 kids (4 and 1)

Which Coral Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
Level Contributor
183 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Coarl Coast over Xmas with 2 kids (4 and 1)

Hi everyone,

Like thousands (million?!) of families we have to take our holidays during summer peak season this year. We have 2 weeks from 21 December to 7 January.

We are a family of four, with two young boys aged 4 and 1.

I am the organiser in the family (!) and was contemplating heading to WA for 2 weeks. Ideally I would like to rent a car + camper trailer in Perth and head north all the way to Coral Bay and back unless we can leave the camper trailer there and catch a plane back to Perth to reduce the number of hours spent on the road.

My boys are good travellers, they have travelled a lot (including Europe, Asia etc...) but I know it’s not necessarily fun for them to spend hours in the car...so i would like to know if:

- The trip Perth to Coral Bay is do-able with 2 young kids in 2 weeks,

- What is the weather like, it is going to be very hot?

- Is the wind really an issue??

- Do we need to book campsites in advance?

- How is the road?

An alternative would be to drive around Albany + Esperance, less kilometres, however we have already been to Kangaroo Island/South Australia and scenery seems to be quite similar?

I really wanted to see the Coral Coast, the red sand and blue waters, I am thinking that the kids might enjoy Monkey Mia, see the dolphins etc...

We have been living in Australia for 8 years and it is the first time we have the opportunity to spend some time in the WA, so very tempted!!

Thanks in advance

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,968 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coarl Coast over Xmas with 2 kids (4 and 1)

-You could do the trip in two weeks (best to bring the camper back to Perth as one way fees are crippling)

- Weather will be very hot with the possibility of being affected by cyclone

-No opinion about the wind, unless it's a cyclone, in which case it _will_ be an issue :-)

-To be sure of getting a spot, yes, you should book in advance

-Road is generally good

If you want to see dolphins they are also in the south west, especially Rockingham and Bunbury

Wherever you end up deciding to go you will need to book well ahead

Don't forget to pre-book an infant seat and a booster seat for the kiddies

Edited: 31 August 2012, 02:11
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coarl Coast over Xmas with 2 kids (4 and 1)

Dolphins can be found much closer than Monkey Mia. It took us 14 hours to drive to Shark Bay (Denham/Monkey Mia) with stops.

As mentioned, the road is fairly good, but it's an undivided highway with one lane in each direction. You'll encounter many road trains, animals and a whole lot of 'nuthin in between. Petrol stations are few and far between, but sufficient if you plan well.

I've been to South Australia, Esperance and Albany and I see no similarity whatsoever. The beaches of WA are far superior to those I saw in South Australia...Esperance is beach nirvana, and both it and Albany have loads of nature reserves and National Parks on offer. The white sand in Cape Le Grand Nat'l Park is incredible...it's like salt and practically squeaks underfoot.

The weather down south will be much more agreeable in Dec/Jan than it would up north and there's a whole lot more to see and do down south. You're pretty much captive at Monkey Mia - there just the one resort and resort activities, nothing else.

You might consider staying in Denham instead and driving to Monkey Mia for the dolphins. We did this, and found 1/2 day more than enough time to see all that Monkey Mia had to offer. Really not much else to do there unless you're perfectly happy to sunbathe on the beach and play in the water.

The same holds true for Coral Bay - it's very much a small town and the water/beach/reef is the one and only attraction.

I don't recall any red sand (as in beaches), but there's no shortage of red dirt here in WA and you don't have to go far to see it!

I don't know much about campervans, but I do know that there is no way in the world I'd travel in WA in Dec/Jan without some sort of air con, regardless of where I went. It gets very hot here.

Enjoy WA!

Australind...
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coarl Coast over Xmas with 2 kids (4 and 1)

With two young children keep in mind the following things when travelling north as far as Coral Bay :

Plan your stops and you might even want to overnight once or twice maybe in Geraldton and Kalbarri or Shark Bay .Moore River(Guilderton) is a good stop too about 2 hours out of Perth.

The total driving time Perth to Coral Bay without an overnight stop is about 14/15 hours when you are towing.

It gets really really hot in Coral Bay at that time of year most days can vary between 35-40 degrees.

The 2 camp grounds to choose from at Coral Bay have small childrens playgrounds , there are activities to do in Coral Bay, but most wont be suitable for children as young as yours. So long as you are happy with maybe a glass bottom boat tour and trips to the beach ( over the road from the campsite) theres not alot to do when you have little ones.

To get to Turquoise Bay and alot of the more remote locations you will need a 4WD - keep that in mind also

Maybe you are thinking of more Broome where the red pindan dust meets the beach?

Campsites book out well in advance for that period I would call both caravan parks ( Peoples Park & Bayview) asap

It can get windy but most mornings are fairly calm ( unless theres a cyclone!)

two weeks would be enough - but remember this type of trip is very tiring

( nothing to see out the window but spinifex or scrub for 100's of kms )

with such small ones I would do down south Busselton/ Dunsborough/ Pemberton / Denmark /Albany and leave up north until they are older and can enjoy it ( but thats just my opinion!)

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,076 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coarl Coast over Xmas with 2 kids (4 and 1)

Good advice from all the previous respondents. We have stayed at Coral Bay in January (in an air-conditioned room) and so the low 40 temperatures were not a problem. However, I would not have liked to be in a camper trailer at that time of year. I think Coral Bay is better June - October if you are camping.

And yes, come to Broome to see the Pindan (red dirt) meeting the white beach sand and blue water).

…telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01815/Br…

Edited: 06 September 2012, 02:09
5. Re: Coarl Coast over Xmas with 2 kids (4 and 1)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2013, 10:15