We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riding to winery's

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Riding to winery's

Hi

I read in a magazine years ago about villa accommodation in a winery. With supplied bicycles where you could ride to 19(?) wineries...............any ideas ??

Cheers

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riding to winery's

It is possible to walk to several from the square. I wouldnt feel to confidant riding around Martinborough on a pushbike after sampling the wares of several vineyards. If I was driving around Martinborough and I knew that there were several drunken persons in charge of pushbikes I also wouldnt feel too comfortable.

This is not a criticsm of drinking wine just of DIC on a bike. If you are visiting Martinborough and you feel locked in around the square go to the Wine Centre in the square where you can taste most of the wines available in the area and also purchase them at cellar door prices.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,516 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riding to winery's

if looking for well placed accommodation, stay at Amore Cottage

http://www.martinborough.com/amore/index.html

it is within easy walking distance of town and several wineries.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
43 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riding to winery's

It's possible to hire bikes from a couple of places in the village of Martinborough, including the Wine Centre and Mint. Check out the B&B listings on Trip Advisor and read the reviews before making up your mind where you might like to stay - there's plenty of choice - but some places are most definetly better than others. Most of those listed will be close to town and have easy access to all of the wineries, whether you decide to go on foot or by bike - just avoid going by car!

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
343 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riding to winery's

It is still an offence to be drunk on a bicycle. But as long as you are not weaving down the road the chances of you being pulled over are very slim, and you would probably just get a warning.

There are a lot of wineries within cycling distance. The i-site has a good map.

uk
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riding to winery's

we did it as a group from a youth hostel near martinborough and absolutely fantastic - great fun and all quite back roads - would highly recommend it - just watch out as a few offer shots aswell as wine tasters :) the free bread and dips certainly helped

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riding to winery's

Thanks for all the advice, the safety warnings & NZ drinking riding laws update. We were planning on staying for a few days & don't plan to drink ride to the winerys, as we won't be able to carry all the wine we plan to buy !!!! Just interested in exploring by pedal power.

Wine centre sounds like a great idea & we love Amore cottage.

Thanks for all the replies & we can't wait for this holiday.

Cheers

7. Re: Riding to winery's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Martinborough
More Martinborough Topics