We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Northland

Sydney
Level Contributor
920 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in Northland

I'm planning a week's stay in Northland in January 2011 for my family of four, including two teenage girls with vey different interests. It will be the last leg of a drive up from Wellington.

Older daughter will be happy with sightseeing, historical places, etc. The younger one (for whom "museum" is a dirty word) just wants to laze around on a beach and work on her tan.

I'm leaning towards a base in the Coopers Beach area (a bach or similar where we can self-cater and all get some privacy). It looks as if the beach there is very pleasant. Just wanted to know whether the water temperature in early January will lend itself to swimming. We visited the Coromandel area in summer 2005, and it was frankly freezing in the water.

Am I right to think that Doubtless Bay will have better beaches than the Bay of Islands itself? Could the water possibly be warmer on the west coast?

Thanks for any advice.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in Northland

The water could be chilly but you will be at the beach at the height of the summer holiday season. Kiwis are tough and they will be in the water. You have to take each day as it comes. If it is cold in the Far North it will be a lot chillier further south

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,117 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in Northland

Hi Nibbles,

Remain with your plans to rent a holiday home around Cable Bay-Coopers Beach-Taipa. The beaches are far nicer than BOI area, & much less crowded area. The further north you go, the warmer it historically gets. Further north again to Matai Bay and Rangiputa Beach on the Karikari peninsula are stunning! Kaitaia township is only 20 minutes away on a good road.

Whangarei has the highest yearly average temps than anywhere else in NZ!

So, a second option would be to rent a holiday home anywhere from Whangarei Heads north including Pataua (nth & sth), Ngunguru, Wellingtons Bay, Tutukaka, Matapouri Bay, Wolleys Bay, Teal Bay, Oakura.

Whangarei city is close enough to all these lovely beaches for shopping, cafes, history, concerts etc. Swimming from December onwards is refreshing respite from the heat of the sun.

We've enjoyed a most glorious summer up here this year. Although not good for farmers, let's hope another golden summer eventuates for your stay.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in Northland

You may still find it a little chilly( no matter where you end up). It isn't until early to mid February that the sea temperatures really warm up as the weather settles into the long hot days of summer.

Sydney
Level Contributor
920 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in Northland

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am currently thinking of splitting the time between the Whangarei area (say 3 nights) and then the Doubtless Bay area for a further three to four. We could see the Bay of Islands and Cape Reinga as day trips.

Some of the holiday rentals I've looked at have kayaks to borrow, so we could be on the water if not in it!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,117 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in Northland

Sounds marvellous! You'll all enjoy both areas of Northland. If you have time, I thoroughly recommend the A Perfect Day cruise over to the Poor Knights Islands marine reserve, departs from Tutukaka Harbour. Guests have use of their kayaks as well as being able to snorkle, and dive. Cheers.

Colchester
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in Northland

Cold water is invigorating and good for the spirit. Embrace and enjoy, but then I am used to swimming in the UK!

7. Re: Swimming in Northland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands