We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packages - Cape Regina, 90 mile beach, sandboarding

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Packages - Cape Regina, 90 mile beach, sandboarding

Hey guys,

I am seeing many companies offering a day tour to cape regina, 90min, walk in puketi kauri forest and sandboarding.

Am i able to do all that without taking up a day tour package?

We like the flexibility of taking our own sweet time or leaving depending on our preferences when we get there.

Obviously we cant drive our rented car on the beach. but we aren't too excited about paying for a bus ride to speed on a beach... do u think there's a spot at higher ground we could stop by and have a look of the 90 mile beach?

What i am really keen is the sand boarding/surfing!!! i cant seem to find a company who solely offers sand boarding/ dune surfing. Help here would be nice!

Can i drive/walk up to Cape Regina myself?

Thanks!

Salt Air Tours
Cultural Tours, Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Sea Shuttle Bay of Islands
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Explore
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Day Trips, Boat Tours
Bay Of Islands Kayak Cruises
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Boat Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packages - Cape Regina, 90 mile beach, sandboarding

Where would you be starting from?If Auckland you could drive up the west coast,visit the Waipoua forest with the giant kauri trees and spend a night in the Hokianga region.There are sand dunes with boarding across the Hokianga harbour from Opononi.A boat will take you across and supply the boards.The drive up there would take about four hours.

If you had the time you could drive up to Cape Reinga and see where the two oceans meet.That is another long drive of a few hours.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packages - Cape Regina, 90 mile beach, sandboarding

You can easily drive to Cape Reinga yourself, it is a fully sealed road all the way and a great drive.

At Te Paki Stream (which you can drive to yourself), there is normally a yellow truck parked there during high season, which rents sandboards, and from here you can get to the spots for sandboarding (see link below)

http://www.ahikaa-adventures.co.nz/index.htm

So yes, no problems with doing this trip independently in your rental car.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packages - Cape Regina, 90 mile beach, sandboarding

Thanks a lot guys! Might skip cape Regina as the 2+ hour drive is not too worth it for us. We are starting off from Auckland.

Andychef.. Would u happen to know of other sandboarding spots outside of BOI? We have to choose between spending a day at BOI or coromandel.

Cheers.

4. Re: Packages - Cape Regina, 90 mile beach, sandboarding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2014, 05:18