We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving back to Auckland from Kaitaia starting 5PM?

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Driving back to Auckland from Kaitaia starting 5PM?

Hi,

I'm considering taking the Harrison Cape Runner tour around April 28th.

Whats your recommendation on driving back to Auckland from Kaitaia after we return from the tour at 5PM?

I am a pretty good driver, so I can drive few hours at night.

What time does it get dark? Is night driving okay?

In Auckland I need to get to Half-moon bay.

Cheers,

Kapil

Salt Air Tours
Cultural Tours, Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Kernhem Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Bay Of Islands Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Explore Group
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Day Trips, Boat Tours
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,646 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving back to Auckland from Kaitaia starting 5PM?

This really is not sensible planning. In daylight this is a 4:30 hr drive, a lot of which is 2 lane road, not dual carriage way. Bear in mind you will be tired from a full day's driving/sightseeing before you even start!

What time does the tour get back to Kaitaia? You will need to allow for it being late back, and for getting back to your car. Where will you have dinner? I know you will be accustomed to wandering cattle on the road, but we have sheep as well sometimes!!

I suggest you plan to stop somewhere around Whangarei and get an early start to Akl next day.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving back to Auckland from Kaitaia starting 5PM?

Not a good plan Kapil,if you need to be in Auckland that night then you should consider scrapping the tour

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving back to Auckland from Kaitaia starting 5PM?

Yes, I will consider staying overnight at Kaitaia, Mangonui or Whangarei and starting early next morning.

Thanks.

4. Re: Driving back to Auckland from Kaitaia starting 5PM?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands