We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tender port

Municipality of...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
tender port

We will be in Bay of Islands on March 29,2014 on cruise ship. Can anyone tell me where the ship tenders? I have tried to find out from cruise line but I can't seem to get the information. Thanks

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tender port

As far as I know it is normally tendered just out & slightly around the corner from Russell, and then you have options to by taken ashore at either Russell, Paihia or Waitangi (and you can get between all 3 of these places by local ferry aswell). They are all in very close proximity, no more than 10 minutes to get to any of those places.

Municipality of...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tender port

Thank you

Paihia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tender port

Hi Muriel,

The ship sits off the top of Russell and they usually tender you into Waitangi Wharf and there is a shuttle bus that brings you into Paihia which is a twenty minute walk from Waitangi.

Sometimes they do tender into Paihia Wharf and if you are only a small cruise ship you could be tendered into Russell.

There is a passenger ferry that runs from Paihia to Russell for $12.00 per adult return trip.

I hope this has been of some help. Kind regards Sue.

Narre Warren...
Level Contributor
25 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tender port

We are going to NZ on a cruise in October 2013. I have heard there are some great waterfalls worth seeing near where the tender boats go ashore.

Can anyone tell me if taxis are available to take us there, or is it walking distance? How much would a taxi cost? Is there a car hire place nearby?

We should be at Bay of Islands from 8am to 5pm but hubby is going canoeing in the morning so really just looking at what to do/see in afternoon mainly.

Any information about getting there and back and other places to see would be most helpful thanks.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tender port

Hi there

I assume you are referring to Haruru Falls.

If you get taken to Waitangi, then it is possible to do a lovely walk through the golf course and then through some beautiful bush to the falls.

wonderwalkers.co.nz/default,1682,waitangi-to…

Its a reasonably long walk though, so taxi would be possible (you caould arrange this from the isite in Paihia)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,019 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tender port

When I have been holidaying in the Bay the Tenders have always gone to Russell and Paihia in fact Paihia has a farmers and craft market especially set up for the Cruise ships on the days they arrive.

Sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tender port

Thank you all for the above. We too will be tendered off the Radiance on the 29th March 2014 cruise and have tried to find out if arriving back at Paihia at 3.45pm (from a 'swim with the dolphin Carina catamaran cruise') would be too late for the last tender back to the ship. If anyone can tell us, that would be so helpful. Thank you Sandra and Mal.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,019 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tender port

You would need to check with the ship regarding last tender. I would hate for one of our volunteers on TA to be responsible for you missing your ship because of advice we have given

Sydney
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tender port

Thank you.

Excuse my ignorance. What is a TA?

California
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
68 reviews