We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Sailing Trip Recommendation

Christchurch
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
One Day Sailing Trip Recommendation

Hi There,

I am looking at booking a one day tour in April when I head up to the Bay of islands.

Does anyone have a recommendation of which company offers an excellent one day sailing trip round the Bay of Islands. I have checked out the different companies but am keen to hear of any personal experiences. Keen to do a day trip that tours the islands does some stopvers, a bit of dolphin watching and offers activities like kayaking.

Many thanks,

Sarah

Paihia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day Sailing Trip Recommendation

Hi Sarah, Yes, there are many sailing trips leaving in the morning from Paihia. They generally leave Paihia Wharf at 10.00am (Boarding 9.45am) and return 4.00pm to 4.30pm. The only sailing trip that has a Dolphin License is Carino Sailing & Dolphins. This is a 50ft catamaran which takes 40 people. It leaves at 9.30am and returns at 3.45pm. There is Islands Cruising, Dolphin Swimming and/or watching, Islands Stop over, Scenic walks and Snorkelling. This is $114.00 per adult and $6.00 for BBQ Lunch.

She's A Lady is a 40ft Yacht which takes 12 people. You have Islands Cruising, Island Stop Over, Island Exploring, Swimming, Snorkelling, See through bottom Kayaks and Lunch included. This is $97.00 per Adult.

Gungha is a 65ft Yacht and takes 20 people. You have Island Cruising, Island Stop Over, Island Exploring, Snorkelling, Kayaking, Swimming, Lunch Included, Hot Showers and Wet suits. This is $95.00 per Adult.

It is possible on Gungha and She's A Lady that you could see dolphins but they are not licensed to seek dolphins. Both these trips are really good value. Sailing is a much more personal way to see the Bay of islands.

I hop this has been of some help for you. Regards Sue

Christchurch
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day Sailing Trip Recommendation

Thank you Sue - your are really helpful - much appreciated :0)

Paihia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day Sailing Trip Recommendation

Hi Sarah, You are most welcome :-). Glad to be of help. Regards Sue

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day Sailing Trip Recommendation

Hi Sarah, My family and I spent a fabulous day on the boat Gungha II, owned and operated by a great guy called Mike. Can thoroughly recommend it. It's a boat big enough to take plenty of people easily so you won't feel crowded like on some of the smaller boats. His website is http://www.bayofislandssailing.co.nz/. He stops at one of the islands and he has kayaks available for paddling around and getting to the shore. I'm sure others would be good too, just that we have experience of this one.

Also some nice photos of what to expect here - www.newzealandholidaytravel.com/index.php…

Enjoy your day, it will be great (but don't forget a hat and sunblock as the Southern Hemisphere sun is fierce on the water).

Christchurch
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day Sailing Trip Recommendation

Thank you for your reply - that is really helpful!!!

6. Re: One Day Sailing Trip Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Bay of Islands