We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

Cedar Lake, Indiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

I really need to get from Auckland to Paihia to by 7 am in order to dive a couple wrecks. Is there any mode of transportation that runs 24 hours or leaves very early in the morning so I can reach my destination in time? Is car rental my only option?

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

Best to catch a bus up the night before and stay in Paihia. Its a 4hr drive from auckland, and it wouldnt be smart to drive on the opposite side of windy, narrow, unfamiliar roads in the dark.

Cedar Lake, Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

I fly in the night before. Aren't there any commuter trains or busses that run very early morning. Are the roads well labeled? Are they lit?

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

NZ doesnt have a major train network. there are no passenger trains that go north of auckland.

'early mornibg' buses, theyd have to leave Auckland City at least 3am at the latest to have you in Paihia by 7am.

have a look at the bus companies for their timetables. intercuty; naked bus...

from Puhoi tunnel (end of freeway, 30mins on a good run from auckland city) State Highway one is one lane each direction (cept passing lanes). there are mostly only streetlights as you come through townships. there are several particularly narrow and windy parts over hills, that claim many lives with many accidents.

jumping off a 12 hour+ flight from the US, driving on the 'wrong' side at night on unfamiliar roads is NOT recommended, no matter how confident a driver you are. too many locals and tourists die on our roads.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

https://nakedbus.com/nz/bus/trip-selection/?lio=536&ldo=Auckland+Airport+-+Int+Terminal&lid=558&ldd=Paihia+-+Bay+of+Islands&sdd=1389178800000&srd=Return%3A+No+Return&nop=1&ddsi=0&rdsi=0&nopsi=0&pc=

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

New Zealand has a population of only 4.5 million people. We don't have extensive networks of anything. Except for cows and sheep.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,246 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

Diving whilst tired isn't a good idea either.

I hope you've left more time between finishing diving and a flight.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

Change your dive time to the following day

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

There is absolutely no way to get to Paihia for 7am if you fly in the night before - it is simply not possible unless you drive yourself, and it would be CRAZY STUPID RIDICULOUS to consider driving yourself at night/early morning having only just arrived on the flight the evening before. Apart from the tiredness / jetlag, the roads after you get north of Auckland are mostly unlit and fairly windy.

I think that the earliest flight from Auckland to Bay of Islands arrives in Kerikeri at 9.20am, and then you have a 20 minute taxi to Paihia. So just before 10am would be the earliest you could get there by any mode of public transport.

9. Re: Transportation Auckland to Paihia by 7 am

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:21