We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concours d'Elegance

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Concours d'Elegance

I searched for info here, and it is all pretty old.

We will be heading to Carmel in August to auction a vintage motorcycle and attend Concours d'Elegance. We have never been before and have no idea what to expect beyond LOTS of people, traffic issues and busy restaurants.

I have made reservations for 6 nights - 2 at Seven Gables Inn and then 4 additional nights at a lovely cottage in Carmel Valley in a vineyard. I would have loved to stay all nights at Seven Gables, but they told me they book a year in advance. I asked if they had a waiting list, they chuckled and said no.

I am pleased with the cottage but know nothing about Carmel Valley, as we have only stayed in Pacific Grove.

Can you suggest places to eat that would be convenient to Carmel Valley?

More importantly - has any one attended CdE? I had imagined ladies in fine attire, with large hats, but hubby says that sounds more like Kentucky Derby!

So what to wear, what to anticipate as far as the big event on Sunday...can anyone give me some tips/pointers etc? Thanks so much.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concours d'Elegance

I went to CdE once a long time ago (the 80s) -- we drove down for the day. I don't recall getting all dressed up. In fact, I'm sure I didn't because I had no idea what to expect. It probably was something nicer than jeans but definitely no hat! (LOL) Khaki slacks and polo shirts were my standard back then.

However, I did check their website and they recommend having a hat for practical purposes. Here's more from the online visitor guide:

"Attire should be comfortable and convenient for walking and picnicking. Styles range from dressy to resort casual. Temperatures are often cool in the morning and evening, and warm during the day, so layering is recommended."

We had lunch at the Grill Room (or whatever it's called) at Pebble. It was crowded but we didn't have to wait for a table (it was probably around 2PM when we ate).

Carmel Valley is a lot warmer in summer than the coast. Depending on how far up the valley your cottage is it could very well be in the 90s. There is a little village in the valley. There is a restaurant there I've dined at a couple of times which was nice. There is also a shopping center at the foot of the valley with some restos as well.

Sorry I'm a bit vague with names. I'm usually there with a large tennis playing group and am going with the flow. But I'm sure a Monterey expert will be along soon.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concours d'Elegance

Dining in Carmel Valley depends on where in the Valley your cottage is. If you are anywhere near Carmel Valley Village, I know two very good restaurants there. Cafe Rustica: http://www.caferusticacarmel.com/ The food is very good, and there is patio dining. Corkscrew Cafe: http://www.corkscrewcafe.com/ Alo very good, and they have outdoor dining in a rustic garden area. it's really lovely. The patio is dog-friendly, which I know some people like, but I've never seen anyone let their dog annoy other diners.

As you go back toward the coast from CV Village, you'll come to Bernardus Lodge and Winery. They have two good restaurants: Marinus is the more-formal one, and Wickets is their more-casual venue. Both are very nice. www.bernardus.com/lodge/foodwine/index.htm

Then, closer still to the coast, at Mid-Valley Shopping Center, there is Jeffrey's for breakfast, sandwiches, etc. jeffreysgrillandcatering.com/restaurant.html

The food is good, simple fare.

And one more stop as you near the coast: Baja Cantina http://bajacantina.com/carmel.htm

If you're in the mood for some Mexican and Margaritas, some music, and a lot of people with their vintage cars, try it. Upscale it's not--but it's fun.

If you want to some fresh (very fresh) organic produce to use at the cottage, Earthbound Farms on Carmel Valley Road has a farm stand. http://www.ebfarm.com/story/our-farm-stand

Of course, there are so many good restaurants in the coastal towns--Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove. When you're staying at Seven Gables, be sure to try Red House Cafe www.redhousecafe.com. It's one of my favorites. In fact, we're headed there for breakfast (weekends only) today. Lunch has the most varied menu and very reasonable prices. Dinner is also excellent. If you'd like some additional suggestions, let me know. Enjoy!

Edited: 27 May 2012, 15:53
3. Re: Concours d'Elegance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:42
Get answers to your questions about Monterey County