We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

b&b with ocean views over Memorial Weekend!!

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
b&b with ocean views over Memorial Weekend!!

Hiya,

We are doing a 2 week road trip from LA to Vegas, leaving LA on Weds May 22nd. With the current plan we will probably end up in Monterey/Carmel for Fri & Sat 5/25 & 5/26.

We've stayed at Green Gables in Monterey previously and loved it, I was tempted to just book this again, however they have a 3 night minimum stay for this weekend. We only want a 2 night stay as the other night is accounted for elsewhere.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a B&B on the ocean like Green Gables, it can be Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove. Budget is $250 per night. I'd also like the B&B to have an afternoon wine n cheese kind of thing going on, it makes it feel kinda special! It doesn't necessarily have to be a B&B I'd also consider a hotel on the ocean front if it comes within budget. One last thing it has to be within walking distance of restaurants etc.

Thanks for any help

europe-chick

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,381 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: b&b with ocean views over Memorial Weekend!!

Hi. That's a tough weekend since the rates are higher. I checked Seven Gables Inn, Clement Hotel, Monterey Plaza Hotel, and Spindrift Inn (the latter three are on Cannery Row and have water views). They all have availability, but are well over your price range. Martine Inn in Pacific Grove is between Green Gables and Seven Gable and has rooms in your price range. My impression (I've never stayed there) is that it's not quite as nice as the other two, but it does have the beautiful views you want. Why don't you take a look (http://www.martineinn.com/) and see what you think. As you look at the different rooms, be sure to note that some of them have a shared bath while others have private baths.

If you want something in Carmel, there are many nice B&Bs (not sure about the minimum nights' stay), but none with ocean views. Sea View Inn may have a peek of the ocean.

Monterey Peninsula...
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: b&b with ocean views over Memorial Weekend!!

Affordable ocean views are going to be hard to come by on one of the busiest travel weekends of the year. The cold reality is that there are relatively few lodgings on the shoreline here. That keeps our shoreline from being cluttered with hotels, but when demand is high and supply is low, well, you get the picture.

You might want to consider another type of local experience. Carmel has lots of cozy inns in the forested areas of town. They can be very charming and peaceful, and in some cases they're within an easy walk of the beach. Just one example, it looks like the Normandy Inn has several rooms available under $250 on your travel dates. http://www.normandyinncarmel.com/

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Graz, Austria
Level Contributor
545 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: b&b with ocean views over Memorial Weekend!!

Thanks for the suggestions PGdenizen and Mr Toy.

Am off to check them out now.

europe-chick

Level Contributor
36,212 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: b&b with ocean views over Memorial Weekend!!

Check out The Normandy Inn in Carmel, it is walking distance to restaurants and the ocean. :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: b&b with ocean views over Memorial Weekend!!

The Old St. Angela Inn in PG is lovely and would fit your budget. They do a nice afternoon wine and cheese...

http://www.oldstangelainn.com/

6. Re: b&b with ocean views over Memorial Weekend!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 06:17