We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a good, clean hotel

virginia
Level Contributor
108 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Need a good, clean hotel

We have to attend meetings at the Coast Guard Station in Portsmouth, Va in June and I need to find a clean, good hotel close to the base. I have stayed at the Hampton Inn off Rt 17S at exit 9b from I-664 and it was awful. I don't want to stay all the way in downtown Portsmouth at the Renassiance. Please send me some ideas.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a good, clean hotel

It sounds like you already know that your choices are limited. I am not aware of anything close to the base (near 164 aka Western Freeway). In the area of the Hampton Inn you stayed at before, there are several motels, Extended Stay, Super 8, Sleep Inn. These are shown on or near Western Branch Rd Chesapeake. If you would consider staying on the opposite side of 664, there seems to be a few higher quality choices; Hilton Garden Inn, Comfort Suites, TownPlace, these are listed as Harbor View and Plummer Blvd Chesapeake/Suffolk. I don't have personal knowledge of the hotels but check the TA reviews for details.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 22 March 2010, 03:17
Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a good, clean hotel

I would recommend any of the 3 hotels along Harbor View Blvd: Hilton Garden Inn, Town Place Suites (Marriott), or Courtyard (Marriott). These would put you close to some restaurants. Comfort Inn on Plummer Blvd off Rt 17 is new also.

Another option is SpringHill Suites or Holiday Inn Express on Gum Rd or Hampton Inn on Peek Trail, all 3 off I-664, Portsmouth Blvd exit. These are a little bit further away but not enough to be an imposition, and they are convenient to some restaurants and shopping.

Lastly, as goneagain already mentioned, the Hampton Inn, Sleep Inn, Extended Stay, Super 8 (bleh) and Budget Lodge (not just no but heck no) are on Western Branch Blvd (Rt 17).

virginia
Level Contributor
108 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a good, clean hotel

Thanks so much for your help. I believe we will stay at one of these.

4. Re: Need a good, clean hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Portsmouth
Recent Conversations