We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring after Quantico Graduation

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Touring after Quantico Graduation

I'm attending a Marine graduation in August. I'm considering staying on another 3 days after the graduation. I'm staying at a hotel in Stafford, and want to tour as many historical sights as I can. Considering where I will be staying, what places can I cram into those 3 days? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring after Quantico Graduation

Will you have a car? If yes, you have many options. In no particular order:

-- The Marine Corps museum at Quantico receives absolutely rave reviews from all who visit. I've never been, but it is high on my list of places to check out.

-- If you like Civil War history, you are within easy driving distance of the battlefields at Chancellorsville, the Wilderness, Fredricksburg, and Richmond. Fredricksburg also has a small historic downtown you can visit.

-- For a slightly longer day trip, you are under two hours drive from Stafford to Thomas Jefferson's Monticello and Charlottesville. You can stop at Montpelier (home of President Madison).

-- Depending on traffic, you are an hour or two from Washington, D.C. by car. You can drive to the Franconia-Springfield Metro station (www.wmata.com/rail/station_detail.cfm…) park, and take the subway into the city. There is also commuter rail (VRE) which stops on the base at Quantico (www.vre.org/service/stations/QANparking.htm) and heads up to D.C. the morning and back to Quantico in the evening. Check out their schedule (http://www.vre.org/service/schedule.htm) as there is no weekend service, and during the week last north-bound train leaves early in the morning and then there's no return service after about 6:30 PM.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring after Quantico Graduation

You are not an unreasonable drive from Mount Vernon, Woodlawn Plantation, Gunston Hall. Stratford Hall and George Washington's Birthplace are east of Fredericksburg.

On the grounds of Woodlawn Plantation is a Frank Lloyd Wright house that was relocated.

As mentioned before, if you go north towards D.C., it isn't far, but you must be very mindful of traffic and travel times. You absolutely do NOT want to get hung up in I-95 rush hour melee, as it is awful.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring after Quantico Graduation

Thanks so much warthog & jwhiteree. Those are excellent suggestions, and I think more than enough to fill up my extra 3 days. Thanks again!

4. Re: Touring after Quantico Graduation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2011, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Quantico