We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in or near SNP?

2rh
Clinton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in or near SNP?

We've stayed twice in the park, last in 2010, and thought the accommodations were nice but spare and the food, especially anything blackberry related, was excellent.

Now we're reading that the food either went downhill, or others didn't agree with our opinions. We started looking at other place like Shenandoah Crossing, but have no other ideas. We stayed at both Big Meadows and Skyland in the park itself, and never outside the park. But we also are thinking we could stay outside the park, and drive up the drive once or twice, but then also take advantage of canoeing or maybe lake activities.

Any thoughts? We have three kids, youngest is 11, so decent accommodations (at least two full-size beds, with room to sleep on the floor and not dirty). We want activities like the park has, but maybe more. Good food is a must, price isn't a huge issue other than we're not millionaires (we just don't go away that often so don't mind spending some money).

2 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,817 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in or near SNP?

We go to SNP at least a couple times of year to hike and have lunch at the Big Meadow Lodge. I have not noticed any decline in the food--I think it's still great and agree that anything blackberry-related is a hit.

We last overnighted in 2012 and our room at the Skyland Lodge, as you describe, was spare but nice. Recent reviews of both Skyland Lodge and Big Meadow Lodge show 4-star ratings.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in or near SNP?

I stayed in one of the cabins at Shenandoah River State Park. The cabin was spacious, clean, more like a house than a cabin, great back porch with rockers and river view, see reviews for details and photos. It might be an option to consider if not too far for you from Shenandoah NP. Sorry, I don't know about the nearby restaurant situation. SRSP now has zip lining by Virginia Canopy Co and you can rent kayaks, raft, etc for river fun from several outfitters, ie. Downriver Canoe Co or Front Royal Canoe. Both have good reviews, detailed websites, also helpful by phone. I am zipping and river kayaking mid May and will post reviews. Hope this helps.

Reply to: Best place to stay in or near SNP?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Shenandoah