We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on water temperture and surf.

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
advice on water temperture and surf.

im taking my 21/2 year old girl to va in june what is the water like and is the surf suitable for her.,also sug. on accomadations would be helpful.thankspaul.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on water temperture and surf.

Honestly, I can say it's cold, it's warm, it's rough, it's flat, it's safe, it's not. A different answer by the hour, it seems. If you've not been around an ocean much, then I'd say not to take your eye off her for a second. She's little, and even the slightest wave will knock her down. I say this not to scare you off making the trip, but too often people just don't know what to expect because this is their first time in the ocean. Sitting at the edge with a bucket and shovel will be wonderful. But you'll see for yourself -- when you stand at the edge and the waves roll back out to sea, you'll sometimes get the sensation of being pulled sideways. If she's braver than what I've described, you might wade in a little ways, hold her hands, and jump over the waves as they come in -- that'll help her get used to the water.

As for accomodations, I don't like to recommend any one particular place since I don't stay in the hotels routinely, being a local. However, Fairfield Inn & Suites always gets good reviews. A few others that I mentioned in other posts include Ramada On the Beach, the Sandcastle, and any of the Marriotts and Holiday Inns.

Virginia beach, Va
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on water temperture and surf.

the holiday inn on 31st street has the best pool out of all the hotels at the strip. Has a waterfal and its a decent size.

where ever you go be sure to book early as hotels in summer are usually booked. and when booking you can save about 30% if you book online. rooms avg $150-$200 a night.

and while your here be sure to bring you little one to ocean breeze water park. Its about 10 mins from the oceanfront.

3. Re: advice on water temperture and surf.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 16:20
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach