We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

We will be coming down for the Beach Music Festival in May and I am terrified of tunnels. I plan to take the James River Bridge on Rt 17 but after that, I get a little confused. We will be staying in the 1300 block of Atlantic Avenue. I know it sounds crazy to drive so far out of the way to avoid a tunnel but I do it all the time.

Can anyone help me get a better idea of how to get there? The best route (from Google maps) for me looks to be 17 to 164 to Harbor Drive to Elm Ave to 464 to 264. Pretty convoluted but it avoids the tunnels.

Thanks!

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

If you use the James River Bridge you will be on Rt17 then go to 164 (not to be confused with I64) be careful on 164 to go directly to 464 (follow signs to Suffolk/Va Beach, do not follow signs to Norfolk or you will end up at a different TUNNEL), then I64W, then I264E. Another route from Richmond is I95S to 460 near Petersburg to 58 near Suffolk to I64W to I264E, no tunnels, 460 is mostly 4 lanes but at Windsor it becomes 2 lanes, drive w/ caution. Take a look at a map and determine which route looks good to you. Good luck.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

goneagain2, thanks for the route. I looked at it and I think that's the way for me. No mistakenly getting on the wrong road and going through a tunnel. I really appreciate the suggestion!!

I've been told about a ferry from the Hampton Roads area to Norfolk. Is there one and if so, does it take cars or just people?

Thanks again!

Cady

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

The Harborlink ferry service has been idefinitely suspended. I don't think it even took autos anyway.

Taking 460 would be your best bet. Plus you get to see a little more of the peanut farming countryside than say rows and rows of pine trees on the interstate.

There are also roadside stands selling produce all along the way. They warn you they're coming up with signs.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

There is a car ferry called the Scotland Neck Ferry which connects Jamestown to Surry, this puts you on rt31; you would then go to 460, 58, 64, 264 (same as if you started on 460). As previous poster said, no ferry from Hampton to Norfolk. But you have some good options so come down and enjoy the beach music.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

I drive from VB to Richmond quite a bit and a very easy way to go, without tunnels, would be using 460. Take 95S out of Richmond, pick up 460E to 58E and follow the signs to VB, taking 64W and picking up 264E in VB and not a tunnel in site. It is a little longer this way, mainly because of the need to slow down as you go through some small towns on 460 that are huge speed traps.. Waverly being the biggest offender.

However, if you are taking 64 and still want to do the James River Bridge, my suggestion is 17 to 664 to either 464 or back to 64 again. Your route taking 164 through the city streets of Portsmouth and linking back up with 464 is confusing and you are on city streets which will slow things up a great deal.

Good luck!

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I'll definitely look closely at the map to see the best route for me. I appreciate all the help!

Any suggestions on what to do on Friday before the music starts? Just my sister and me on this trip, two middle-aged girls going to the beach. We are pretty casual.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

The drive down was great. I printed out the suggestions and we got there so easily. Thanks so much for the help. We apparently missed getting back on 460 coming home but took 35 in Courtland back to 460. More scenic driving is always nice.

The weather was great, despite the short bursts of rain and the oceanfront is always wonderful. It's a little sad to see the old beach hotels torn down to make way for the big chains but I suppose everyone wants to be at the beach.

Thanks again for the help!

Cady

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

Thanks for the update! Glad you had a safe trip.

9. Re: Getting to Virginia Beach from Richmond Without Any Tunnels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 19:25
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach