We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanctuary Resort

Which Virginia Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, GA
Level Contributor
22 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Sanctuary Resort

My family & I will be staying at the Sanctuary Resort Memorial Day week. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it a fairly new resort? How far from VA Beach Boardwalk is it? Will it be very crowded Memorail Day week?

Thanks.

Kacki

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanctuary Resort

It's very new and very pretty. It's about 15 miles or 25 minutes to the Boardwalk. Memorial Day is the kick-off to the summer season, so it may be quite busy, but the beach is roomy.

Annapolis Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanctuary Resort

We stayed at the resort and even though you are told no pets permitted, there was dog waste in the garage, beach & on the sidewalks with over forty dogs walking freely. The power went out for hours while it was 105 degrees leaving people unable to get into their condos, cool off or use the elevators. The power went off twice while we were there. It was horrible. The construction of the other units and the two on site eateries was noisey. The swamp fires sent heavy choking smoke all down the beach at the Sanctuary Resort. The ramp was buried with sand, I tripped and suffered serious injuries.The pools are very overcrowded.

There are no vending machines or stores close by. The market at the end of the road sold us expired food.There is no housekeeping.For a smoke-free resort, there were a lot of people smoking on the beach and garage etc. The public beach is about 100 feet away which made it less attractive as a resort.

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanctuary Resort

I am not doubting the previous poster's report, but I would like to temper it with a couple observations:

1. Power outages are usually the result of a storm, so while they are inconvenient, a guest can't blame the resort.

2. The smoke from the marsh fires in North Carolina have been a problem in the last week throughout the area. Again, the Sanctuary has no control over that any more than it can control atmospheric conditions and wind direction. Marsh fires are not routine by any means.

3. Smoking outside is not against the law.

4. I can see how a small market could let expired food sit on the shelf or in the case too long. Buying by mistake would irritate me too, but I would hope the poster gave the store a chance to make amends with a refund or exchange.

Annapolis Maryland
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanctuary Resort

Please be advised that the power outages were in no way related to ANY storms. This happened twice and at least one hundred guests were in the lobby complaining and demanding refunds which were not going to happen regardless. There were disabled people in wheelchairs and a lot of elderly people crying because of the complete dark and extreme heat !

The heavy choking smoke had nothing to do with the fires in North Carolina. It sent people packing in a hurry.

As far as smoking, it is difficult for children to play on the beach with adults smoking with no regard as well as in the pool area and garage.

The fact that the resort states NO pets and we counted at least forty on the resort ground that left their waste everywhere is unexcusable.

There is nobody at the resort to enforce any regulations at all.

We overheard potential buyers of the condos complaining among themselves of these same true facts.

The public beach is right next door and they charge $3 per car load for beach access.

The spider webs and spiders have taken over the resort. We killed over one hundred of them on our balcony alone.

The air conditioner blows the heat out onto the balcony which makes it miserable to sit out there.

The construction workers stood staring at teenager girls on the beach and pool making vulgar comments.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanctuary Resort

I live 2 miles from the oceanfront-unless the fire department is called, the smoke IS from the wildfires.

Level Contributor
750 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanctuary Resort

I'll agree with centralareawatch that being near smokers on the beach ruins the atmosphere. We've learned to survey the area before choosing our spot to make sure we're upwind of any smokers and won't hesitate to move if one gets too close later. Unfortunately, you can't ban smoking outside.

Could you tell us when you visited? Since this resort is in Sandbridge, I can imagine the smoke from the fires would have been bad there since I'm farther north and we've been dealing with the smell for two weeks now.

Back to kacki's original post - I hope she/he comes back to give us a report!

Athens, GA
Level Contributor
22 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanctuary Resort

My family and I stayed at the Sanctuary Resort for a week beginning May 24. It was our first time at Virginia Beach, and we went into Williamsburg several days to do things in that area. The resort is absolutely beautiful. We had a beautiful oceanfront condo in Building B, and we were the very first to ever stay in our condo. I have never seen such a beautifully decorated beach condo, and I've stayed at a bunch of condos over the years all over Florida and South Carolina. We had beautiful weather - highs in the low 80's. We went to all 3 pools while we were there - all were very nice. The biggest pool is in the courtyard area of Building A. The lounge chairs are great - really soft cushions and very comfortable. The only negative thing I have to say is the location of the resort. There is absoulutely nothing on that end of the beach except the resort. It seems like it takes forever to get from the resort to the main part of Virginia Beach where all the restaurants and the boardwalk are. And when you turn off Princess Anne Road, it takes a while to get to the resort. We always eat out at night on our vacations, so we just had to allow for the extra travel time. Just realize that there is no "running up to the store" to pick up something. It's at least 12-15 miles from the resort to the Blooms grocery store we used on Sandbridge Road. With that said, it is still a beautiful resort for a family vacation.

Kacki

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,844 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanctuary Resort

Thanks, Kacki, for posting a follow-up. I agree -- that is one long ride from the main road into Sandbridge.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sanctuary Resort

Kacki, your report makes me want to take a vacation right here where I live, I am going to go check out the Santuary! Thanks...

Montreal
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sanctuary Resort

We are thinking of booking there ourselves for the first week of August! Previous poster said there was construction around the resort? Where exactly and what is under construction?

Thank you