We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice safe area to live

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Nice safe area to live

What are the really nice areas-with good schools, minimum drug problem-(or at least people don't bring it out on the street). Established communitys with really good neighbors.

Within driving distance to VB

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice safe area to live

I'm a bit confused -- when you say driving distance to VB, do you mean the beach itself (suggesting you are looking for good neighborhoods in the CITY of VB), or are you willing to live in a city other than VB as long as the commute is reasonable?

VB is so large that it is hard to pinpoint neighborhoods. Check vbschools.com and you can find links to websites for all the schools. The high schools all have good reputations (although there is one that's a bit sketchy and I wouldn't want my kids there), but there are more differences in student population at the elementary level. A friend of mine teaches 2nd grade in a VB school where many students' concept of visiting family is a trip to the jail - they don't know any different. Sad.

Going outside VB, you might look at the Great Bridge and Hickory sections of Chesapeake. There you will find good neighborhoods and schools.

I just found this website that's pretty neat. You can click on the neighborhood, and it will give you the history, prices of houses, school district, shopping, etc.

http://homes.hamptonroads.com/Cityneighbor.cfm?City=Virginia+Beach

Buffalo
Level Contributor
462 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice safe area to live

Thanks wendy

It's a great place to start. I am really not sure what I am looking for yet-it is at least 1 year away.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
117 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice safe area to live

I have been told that the Strawbridge Elementary school is one of the best in VB. The neighbor is great too. Hope this help

Level Contributor
787 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice safe area to live

Wendy - you are the expert. thanks for that great website!

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach