We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July vacation

VA
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
July vacation

I will be traveling early July. Staying 3-4 nights. Will have several small children, all under 10. What kinds of things are there to do? I know about the lighthouse & the aquarium. Is there anything else? Which section of the beach might be the most "small children friendly"? What hotels would you recommend? Have a small budget but don't want to stay somewhere that's bug infested or nasty.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July vacation

Hi, VAMom5. You should take a look here:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58277-s401/Virginia-…

That's the Family Travel article. In fact, click on the side here at "things to do" and look at the several Featured Advice for Travelers articles. Also click along the side here at "Before you Go".

Do remember to keep the little ones covered in a high spf.

Bring a few kites for fun.

Binoculars if you think the kids can use them to see things out in the ocean.

Also check here in the little empty box on top of these posts....do a word search for kids or things to do and you'll get some more insight at your fingertips.

That said, your problem with accommodations won't be so much the bug infested or nasty...haven't encountered one of those... but more the facility that will allow your number in a room...or two...or however many and make it affordable to you.

What would be the total number of your group?

VA
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July vacation

Thanks! I've been searching on this site all morning looking at different things to do and things that are nearby. It's a shame that I know more to do at the beaches in NC than I do in my own state :).

There will be 7 of us total.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July vacation

There is a play area on the beach at 30-31th St, look for King Neptune. At 64th St (north of the resort strip but only a few minutes away) is an entrance to First Landing State Park. It's a great way to spend a few hours walking, exploring, and there is an inland beach area (called the Narrows) which is nice for a picnic, check out photos and more details at www.first-landing-state-park.org

Happy trails

Mentioned in this post
First Landing State Park
First Landing State Park
919 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July vacation

VAMom5, as far as accommodations here are a few ideas for you to look at. Let us know how they work for you and we might have other ideas.

You might look into Cutty Sark, in a quieter north end: http://www.cuttysarkvb.com/ Across the top, click on Cottages. There is at least one large enough for you.

The location is a nice quieter end of VB. There is always the trolley that runs up and down the main street for easy transport too. We had acquaintances stay at Cutty Sark who liked it. They do have some great rates, don't they.

You can also take a look at Angie's Guest Cottage:

http://angiescottage.com/bed-breakfast.htm

Angie's has cottages with three bedrooms which you can see here: http://oceancovemotel.com/cottages.html We'be been by there often and had friends that stayed there and even in the hostel and also in the b^B they used to have. It's just a short walk to the beach, peaceful quaint beachy area and historic beach cottages.

The Capes is oceanfront and not as high as many. It's smaller, older but kept up...small inside pool and cafe for breakfast, lunch, even dinner if you're early enough. They have at least one apt. style suite...perhaps more and perhaps larger. You might give them a try. capeshotel.com/Virginia-Beach-Tour-Hotel.html

A friend suggested to me a site called something like condorenthelp.

Also, Turtle Cay just across the street from the hotels that are on the boardwalk. You don't have an ocean view but the setting is very Caribbean and you walk across the street and beside the Ramada On The Beach to the 7th Street small stage and Boardwalk. The units are apartment sized. The street is not a major highway. It is the main road through the resort strip but there are crosswalks and families and groups are always crossing loaded with beach accoutrement so it's not a problem.

Right beside Turtle Cay is a Subway/Haagen Daz, which comes in handy. Nearby are shops and restaurants.

You could also look at http://vbhma.com, Virginia Beach Hotel Motel Association. Click on accommodations for all the options you can use to search.

Post again and let us know how you're doing with all this.

Mentioned in this post
Capes Hotel
Capes Hotel
404 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Turtle Cay Resort
Turtle Cay Resort
428 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach
2,466 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
VA
Level Contributor
26 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July vacation

Still looking for a hotel, have a few options but not sure. A few are willing to let us all stay in one room but with an extra charge. I'm just hoping they are nice.

As for things to do, the family article was very helpful. I think I've got enough to occupy our time and the prices aren't too expensive.

Are there any hotels to definitely stay away from? I'd be willing to drive inland 10-15 minutes to get better rates and to get out of the crowd a little.

Thanks!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July vacation

There are some places inland that might be less but I'm not sure the drive would be worth it, especially with so many little ones. Also, if you're going just a bit inland, you'll have the mix of high and low prices and good and bad reviews just as much as anywhere. I don't know if you're familiar with No. Va. but, a bit similarly, there's centers of action all around VB so that the rates aren't drastically lower for a top hotel even a few miles inland.

Go to the hotels page and click on the map and zoom in to the area of 264 (E/W) and 225 (N/S) where you'll see a cluster of hotels to click on. This is around the newer Town Center: towncenterofvirginiabeach.com Simlarly, just to the left of that area and look at 264/64.

Virginia Beach isn't just a beach town, where rates are always cheaper further inland. There are some places with lower rates. But in general Virginia Beach is the largest city in Va., lots of accolades as far as the place to work, to live, fittest, etc. unemployment well below the national average...not because everyone is employed at the ocean but because there are so many jobs to do throughout the city.

It's the most populous city in Va with about 440,000 and the 40th most populous city in the US.

You might find that staying just a bit inland isn't worth the drive with all the kids and lacks the easy access to the boardwalk.

However, I'm hearing about people who are really enjoying Chesapeake. You can look here for their accommodations: http://www.visitchesapeake.com/wheretostay/

It's a great spot all on its own...wonderful tours of the famous Great Dismal Swamp, hiking, etc. There are several good hotels. You might check the price on them.

We have also had several topics on budget accommodations, topics like that that mention lots of places to stay if you're still wondering about which place to choose at the resort area. If you stay across the street from the beach it gets lower in price. A neighbor just told me her son and his family liked Days Inn at the Beach at 1000 Atlantic. It was remodeled in 2007 and is just across the street from the oceanfront hotels. Prices are not high on that one.

Also, I have found the actual prices can be very different than the 'average' price given at the hotel page here on TA. If you like the place, don't go by the price here...look into it and see how low you can get it.

Mentioned in this post
Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach
2,466 Reviews
Virginia Beach, VA
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
7. Re: July vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach