We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Virginia - where to live

Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Moving to Virginia - where to live

Hey ya'all,

I'm a young Aussie fresh from uni looking to move to Virginia next year. I've got a job lined up in Norfolk and am looking for suggestions for places to live. Can anyone suggest regions, neighbourhoods etc that cater to the young, spirited, bohemian lifestyle?

Also what and where are the attractions for mid-20's residents.

Cheers!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Virginia - where to live

One word: Ghent

If by attactions you mean nightlife, the new hot area is Granby St.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
22 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Virginia - where to live

Ghent or Colley Avenue in Norfolk are great places to live and play for 20 somethings. Hip bars, restaurants and the Norva (great music venue). The commute between Norfolk and Virginia Beach is VERY manageable, just don't work or drive anywhere you will have to commute through a bridge tunnel! Shore Drive and the oceanfront in Va Beach are where the remainder of my 20 something friends live.

I personally have lived at the oceanfront (3 blocks away) for 4 years, and can't imagine living anywhere else. I run on the Boardwalk, lounge on the beach, eat at all the great seafood restaurants very near by, party at the "locals" bars right off the "Block" during tourist season, in off season the "Block" welcomes us back and shop at Hilltop.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
73 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Virginia - where to live

Ghent, The Hague, Freemason or Downtown Norfolk are where you'll want to be. Good zip codes to use while searching are anything between 23510 to 23517.

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach