We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must see & do in VA Beach

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Must see & do in VA Beach

I have a place to stay, now I need to know what are things one must see & do in VA Beach. Family with teenagers. Any/all ideas welcome. Also want to know if there are any boat tours/rides out of VA Beach. Is the Aquarium worth visiting?

indianapolis
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must see & do in VA Beach

where are you staying at if you dont mind( any deals) ..i am looking for a place to stay for 4 days in a couple of weeks.

thanks

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must see & do in VA Beach

Unfortunately, I can't help you out with the accomodations, we were able to make arrangements with someone we know.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,429 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must see & do in VA Beach

the Chesapeake Bay bridge and tunnel-- take the teens across that. Very cool! There is a restaurant at the first "island" We sat and grabbed lunch but also sat outside and just watched all the military and commercial ships go by.

Also, we really enjoyed the naval museum in Norfolk. (is free, by the way) There's a destroyer in dock that you can tour inside and out in addition to the museum indoors.

We also got a kick out of parking along the Oceana air base and watching the planes practice touch and goes. Fly right over your head and quite loud :)

If you like lighthouses, head up to Fort Henry. Can walk up to the top of the old one. We also watched the Navy Seals practice on the water there one day.

Just some ideas NOT beach related.

Southborough...
Level Contributor
374 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must see & do in VA Beach

Just be warned that the toll for the bridge is $12 each way - yes, I said $12 each way!!!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must see & do in VA Beach

Check www.vbfun.com for events going on during your stay. Lots of free stuff on the boardwalk...from those events to nightly music performances on small stages.

Events might be sports or music, etc.

Also take a look at www.beachstreetusa.com for info on when the fireworks will be during your stay and info on the street performers (auditioned not just showing up and playing) from 17th to about 21st.

Lots of shops are along the street parallel to the boardwalk, Atlantic, which is where Beach Street is too.

There's natural areas, kayaking, horseback riding, bicycling...lots of stuff.

Take a look at "Things to do" on the left bar here. Look for the article on "Family Travel" for more ideas.

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must see & do in VA Beach

If you are interested in going to the 1st island (or further) of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to the restaurant and fishing pier, the toll would be $12 "out" and $5 "back" as long as you return w/in 24 hours...just be sure to keep your initial receipt to obtain the reduced return rate. Additional details at www.cbbt.com. Also, consider including First Landing State Park while you are exploring Va Beach. There are wonderful trails and great scenery, check out the website, www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/fir.shtml, I've walked or biked all the trails so just ask if you any questions. Hope this helps.

Va Beach
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must see & do in VA Beach

About the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel: yes, it is $12 one way but if you return within 24 hours, the return fare is less, maybe half, not sure exactly. Also, the bridge/tunnel is 17 miles end to end -- that's why it is so unique -- and has two tunnels. Definitely stop at the island restaurant to view the ships in the channel; not sure if I'd recommend the food. Maybe bring a picnic as you can spend time there. Locals pay the bridge fee just to fish there!

Also, the navy museum mentioned in another post is actually called "Nauticus" and the retired US Navy ship attached next door is a WW II battleship. You can tour the US Navy Museum and barrleship for free but if you wish to explore Nauticus, there is a fee but I feel it is worth it. GREAT GIFT STORE on the ground floor that you can also access w/out the fee.

If you're into history, I'd highly recommend the MacArthur Memorial in downtown Norfolk too.

Another post referenced the fort north of the Va Beach resort strip: It's called Fort Story and has two unique lighthouses to explore and great beaches on both the ocean and Chesapeake Bay. The bay beaches are terrific if you have little ones who might be afraid of the waves/surf. Right next door to Fort Story is First Landing Seashore State Park. It has excellent beaches, tent camping and cabins and a nice satellite facility from the VA Aquarium. They do a live outdoor drama at sunset on Fort Story about the first explorers who landed there prior to moving on to Jamestown and their encounter with Native American Indians. It's pretty good but nowhere near as outstanding as the professional live outdoor drama down on the Outerbanks of North Carolina. I HIGHLY recommend the NC show!!!

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must see & do in VA Beach

To answer your question, yes, the aquarium is worth doing, esp. on a cloudy day (but others will do the same!) Our schools in Richmond travel 2 hours for field trips there. There are many tour boats and dolphin watches (and whale watches in season). I can't recommend one over another but here is one I found on the internet http://mobiletours.gorudeetours.com/

I did a dolphin watch with my son's class and I was one of 4 who got sea sick. Not pleasant. My kids love the street intertainers at night. Quite a hit. Also, Kohr's ice cream along Atlantic ave. You may want to do a boat tour out of Norfolk that tours the Navy Yard. Your teens will love 17th Street Surf shop for a t-shirt or board supplies. If you take bikes, (or rent) ride the boardwalk from end to end. When you get to around 41st street by the Cavalier Hotel, the boardwalk will end, but you can move over to the service road and take that all the way up to the base to tour the light house.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must see & do in VA Beach

Oh, the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel (follow the gull) is quite an egineering feat and was featured on PBS's Modern Marvals. For less than $20 round trip, you go through 3 tunnels and bridges with places to stop along the way. (My dad had to take us right when it opened in the 60's. I don't think the gift shop on the bridge has changed much since then!) You can continue on over to the Eastern Shore of VA, and spend a day in Chicoteague. Other day trips could include Williamsburg for the history or outlet shopping, Jamestown, Yorktown and Norfolk. College visits for your teens could include Old Dominion University and William and Mary.

richmond, va
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must see & do in VA Beach

My family has a little beach house near the bay, and we've been spending a lot of time down in VA Beach this summer. So far we have really enjoyed the Rudee Rocket (I think teenagers would really like this. It's a speedboat ride where you get to see dolphins. We have a young son and I think it was a little much for him.) and the Ocean Breeze waterpark. We generally like strolling up and down the boardwalk area in the evening. There are two little amusement parks, but they're kinda so so.

You can also rent jet skis and do parasailing on Rudee Inlet, both of which look fun, but we haven't done.

The Aquarium is so so. We went a couple of years ago and weren't blown away, but I do know they were remodeling when we were there.

We would eventually like to go to the Norfolk Zoo and the children's museum in Norfolk--but that's not for teenagers.

And then of course there's just hanging out at the beach!

Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach
Recent Conversations